What do you do with the fish you collect?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:54 AM

I know that alot of people here do alot of collecting and I would like to start collecting but I was just thinking about it and I don't have any openings even left in my tanks....So what do you guys do with the fish you collect? I understand that sometimes you go out for a certain fish that you want for one of your tanks but besides that do you just keep them for a while and give them away or something like that? Thank you very much.

Chad

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:01 AM

You should only collect as many fish as you can handle. If you don't have the room for it, don't take it home. There are a few people I ask before I go collecting if they are looking for anything. If I get into a good population of the targeted species, I'm usually collecting for a 2-3 people. I have a quarantine tank that I put all my fish that I collect in, except for the obvious (pickerel and larger species). I usually keep them there for at least a week and then I start moving my fish to my tanks and ship the rest out. I keep an emergency tank just in case I do find myself with a few extra fish.

In short, collect with a purpose and don't take everything home. You will find yourself "sampling" instead of "collecting" in short time.

#3 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:03 AM

So basically you just collect what you can and at the end of the day pick and choose what you want....? Sounds really fun!

Chad

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:11 AM

Collecting can be done purely for self education. Get out there and find out where certain species exist. Release the fish immediately, but gain the knowledge of where they are. Maybe bring a few home. The fun of this native fish game is in the education that you will gain. For instance I can tell you what fish are in a particular creek near my home, better than the DNR. I like that!
Yes, you can give them away! Giving a fish to someone who is searching for a species can be very rewarding. You will build relationships, and trust.
Photographs! we all want to see good pictures, collect fish, snap pics, and release.

I know you are really getting into this Chad, keeping fish is only the tip of the iceberg. The collecting, and time you spend in the water will eventually take precedence.

#5 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:15 AM

I release the grand majority of what I catch and lately I have released everything simply because I have no space. I enjoy "sampling" just as much as collecting. I enjoy knowing what lives in my waterways and where I can find them. Then there is always the trill of seeing a species you have never seen before, finding a rare species or finding a speices that was not previously known to exist in a particular body of water.

#6 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:16 AM

I am so excited to start collecting on my own you have no idea. It sounds so fun. I think the first thing I am going to buy is a couple decent maps and some ID books. I do not know a whole lot as of now. Hopefully I can get my brother into it and we can spend some good quality time together just out on the river. Just sounds like a plain good time! Hopefully by the time I start collecting I know a few more people around here and can get some fish for them. That is truely what I think would be the best thing. Especially for the couple people here that helped me out getting into this hobby (you know who you are). I will be sure to remember you guys when collecting. Thank you for setting me on the right track. I was under the impression that you keep what you catch!

Chad

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:17 AM

I release the grand majority of what I catch and lately I have released everything simply because I have no space. I enjoy "sampling" just as much as collecting. I enjoy knowing what lives in my waterways and where I can find them. Then there is always the trill of seeing a species you have never seen before, finding a rare species or finding a speices that was not previously known to exist in a particular body of water.

Finding a species that is new to me: I live for that!

#8 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:19 AM

I have also always wanted to try and find bowfin and pickerel in the wild. That has always been a dream of mine also.....

Chad

#9 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:26 AM

I spend a lot of time doing research. I pick a target species, look at distribution maps, EPA data, DNR data, and then go look for it. I might go to 4 or 5 creeks before I find it, but once I do, it is like finding gold at the end of a rainbow. When you see trip reports when people find 20-40 species, that is not by chance. They have done research, and know where to find fish. So at first do not be discouraged if you find fewer species. In time you will learn where they are! That is the beauty of this hobby. Learning!

#10 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:30 AM

Thank you. I plan on doing a ton of research before even going out. I need to uncover some pretty cool things my first time out otherwise I think I am going to lose my brother's interest. I want to get him into it and I think he would be really into it if I caught some things that he has never seen before. Thanks again for all of the info guys!

Chad

#11 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:40 AM

Hopefully by the time I start collecting I know a few more people around here...
Chad

One way you might want to start is by updating your profile. Add your location information. When people know where you are, you may get some invites to some collecting trips. Where are you?

I will be sure to remember you guys when collecting.
Chad

I think this is somewhere we all would like to go. Building relationships. Trading. Meeting for joint collecting trips. I'm in the early stages of this myself. Maybe we'll meet.

#12 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:55 AM

I will be sure to remember you guys when collecting.
Chad

I think this is somewhere we all would like to go. Building relationships. Trading. Meeting for joint collecting trips. I'm in the early stages of this myself. Maybe we'll meet.

This is something I would like to do as well, I just have to get over my fear of shipping. There are definantly a few members here whom I owe some fish to.

#13 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:21 PM

Three major references for you.

MDNR fish Atlas maps: these maps are made from known and documented collections of various fish species and are invaluable to sorting out what is or could be in a watershed. Naturally some fish may still show up outside of the locations listed or may be extremely rare where listed. When collecting fish only keep them if they are common for an area.
PRINT THEM ALL!!!!
http://www.michigan....30538--,00.html

Hubbs and Lagler Fishes of the Great Lakes region:
A must for anyone working with fish in the region.
http://www.press.umi...esc.do?id=17658

MDNR fisheries assessment reports:
These break down species by watershed and are a bit more accurate than the Fish atlas maps. unfortunatly these cover only the larger river systems but 80% of the time you will likley be near one of these rivers.
PRINT THEM ALL!!!!
http://www.michigan....46270--,00.html

#14 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:18 PM

I would like to add to BL's list of references and maps and sat that everyone should own a copy of the Delorme Atlas and Gazetteer for their state. These maps, in my opinion, are indispensible when it comes to collecting.

#15 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:30 PM

I would be lost without my gazetteer collection :lol:
These maps will guide you to not only predictable species locations but also allow you to determine possible spots due to topographic features the maps show.

I can't stress enough the importance of these maps.

#16 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:43 PM

The only problem I have is that I am young. I am only 16 and most people do not want to deal with younger kids for obvious reasons. Many people just think it is odd. That is why I do not like to admit my age on forums because many people will not be as willing to work with me. And they treat me like I do not know anything :evil: . Thank you for the links Brooklampery! I will be sure to read on those and print out the maps. I spent about 2 hours reading on the last link you sent me :D .

Chad

#17 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:55 PM

The only problem I have is that I am young. I am only 16...

That is not really a problem, Chad. There may possibly be a couple of younger people lurking around here, I don't know, but most of us were 16 once. I was 16 once. Of course, that was 26 years ago. I suspect that I am one of the older people here, although probably not the oldest. But I don't let that bother me, and neither should you. This is a group of people devoted to a cause, and to a hobby. I would like to think that there is a mutual respect for all other serious hobbyists. Age, gender, ethnicity, etc. don't matter. If you love native fish, and want to meet, collect with, discuss with, learn from, and teach other native fish lovers, that's all that matters. There are probably 16 year olds who know a lot, and there are probably 42 year olds who are newbies. Don't let it bother you. I think the only difference for you is, for the next two years, you will require parental permission to go on collecting trips. And if I meet you, I won't be asking to see your permission slip. :wink:

I am curious about the "55" in "chad55". I just assumed that people who append a number to their names are indicating their birth years. I'm sure there can be other meanings behind those numbers also.

#18 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:38 PM

I would be lost without my gazetteer collection :lol:
These maps will guide you to not only predictable species locations but also allow you to determine possible spots due to topographic features the maps show.

I can't stress enough the importance of these maps.

Looks like I need to buy some maps.

#19 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:10 PM

Hahaha thank you for the support. I try my hardest to keep up with the older people on the forums and I think that I do have quite a bit of knowledge for my age. I just don't know a ton of stuff about natives.... And yea the name is a name that I use on all forums and I made it up because my largest tank is a 55 at the moment. Hopefully I can make a bit of an upgrade here soon but that is not really my decision... It is nice to know that I can let some people know my age here and not be descriminated against. Thank you all. But I must go as it is my bedtime :roll: . Hahahaha

Chad

#20 Guest_ShinersRock_*

Guest_ShinersRock_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:08 AM

20 year old here. Almost 21. I can remember the good ol' days of 7th grade when my teacher had a 100 gallon tank with a LMB, Rock Bass, some sunfish and the brown bullhead I brought him. That's what got me into fish. Haha, all my college buddies think I'm a bit nuts about my fish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users