greenfin shiners

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bluefin_*

Guest_bluefin_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 01:19 AM

Hi there,
Does anyone know anything about the care of greenfin shiners in captivity? I can't seem to find any info on them. How big do they get, how large a tank do they need, what food, what kind of water?
thanx,
Lori

#2 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 07:21 AM

Hi Lori,

Geenfin shiners(Cyrprinella chloristia) are found in SC and the surrounding states in small to medium sized streams. THey are very similar in appearance to both the whitefin(C. nivea) and satinfin(C. analostana) and their care is very similar as well. In the wild they are found in eddies below areas of flow. We generally see them in pools just below riffles or in slower moving water near the edges. They get to be about 3 or so inches and are robust eaters. I have heard coments that they may be even a tad aggressive when compared to other shiners, but this is only in regards to their feeding habits. Due to their very active, free-swimming habits, I would suggest a tank that is a minimum of 36 inches but they would likely do better in an even larger tank. They eat anything that hits the water and I have never found them to really even prefer one food over the other. I feed mine Spectrum pellets, flake, and freeze-dried offereings. Their water just needs to be clean. They come from varied stream types, generally just above the Fall Line. We get them in streams that are totally bedrock, sand and cobble and totally sand bottomed.

#3 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:49 AM

Considering I got my greenfin shiners from Dustin, I've followed his advice. Mine are kept in a 30G (36" long) with a Whisper 60. They will eat just about anything including earthworm flakes, veggie flakes, FD anything and frozen anything. They were pretty skittish at first but have since calmed down. I'm keeping mine with some topminnows and darters and have no problems whatsoever. I did have a male once though that dominated a section of the tank, which is expected I'm assuming.

#4 Guest_bluefin_*

Guest_bluefin_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:26 AM

OK, thanx! My biggest tanks are 20 gals, so I will pass on these fish. They won't have enough room.

#5 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 01:13 PM

OK, thanx! My biggest tanks are 20 gals, so I will pass on these fish. They won't have enough room.

20G long? If so, that may be good enough.

#6 Guest_bluefin_*

Guest_bluefin_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:24 PM

yes, a 20 long. I'm gradually redoing it with natives.

#7 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:27 PM

what type of filtration and how much water flow are you setting it up with?

#8 Guest_bluefin_*

Guest_bluefin_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:04 PM

what type of filtration and how much water flow are you setting it up with?

it has a penguin 170 biowheel on it, which is pretty strong. Lots of plants---it's an old, established tank. As my tropicals pass on, I want to restock with natives. Thinking of these shiners, or some more bluefin killies, orangespotted sunfish, flag fish---stuff on the smaller end of the spectrum.

#9 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:18 PM

get some mummichogs I have mine in a 20 with I hope some diamonds

#10 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:30 AM

In the long run in my experience most Cyprinella species prefer 36" tank or longer. 24" is minimum and probably not good for small group with a few fully grown males in heat [in my experience thes males do bite and hurt foes, and subdominated males won't do well in small tanks with dominant male].

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users