Hello from the Old Europe

14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Perchfriend_*

Guest_Perchfriend_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:04 AM

Hi people,

I am new in this forum. And I am very glad, that I have found it !
I am biologist and very interested in keeping fishes from the temperate zones of Europe, America and Asia. Since many years I keep mostly European species from the families of Percidae, Cyprinidae, Cottidae, Cobitidae. I have several aquaria from 12 litres to 800 L.
I don't know about the situation in the US, but in Germany you are very exotic when you are keeping socalled coldwater fishes. And neither in Germany nor in Austria or Swizzerland (we all sepeak german, more or less) I found a forum to talk and read about these very interesting fishes.
Some american species like Ameiurus spec., Notropis spec., Lepomis cyanellus are popular for pond keeping and easy to get. A little community also keeps species like Elassoma spec., Fundulus spec., or Cyprinodon spec. To find someone who has darters or Yellow Perches is nearly not possible.

I hope to find here stimulative exchange !

Frank

Attached Images

• D_bel.JPG
  • Flussbarsch_2.JPG
  • Bachschmerle.JPG
  • Schlammpeitzger_2.JPG

#2 Guest_mander_*

Guest_mander_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:56 AM

Welcome!

I'm sure you'll be happy here.

#3 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:45 AM

Hi Frank, welcome! You'll quickly find out that the volume of knowledge the people here have (amongst whom I know practically nothing!) is comprehensive and rather amazing.

It's strange to me, though, knowing how rabid German fishkeepers are, and how popular the hobby seems to be over there, that there aren't as many people keeping coldwater and native fish.

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:56 PM

This is great! Nice to know we are touching the "oddball" aquarist worldwide. Welcome to the NANFA forum.

#5 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:04 PM

Welcome to the Forum Frank!

#6 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:31 PM

"Very exotic" coldwater fishes? Genau! And welcome.

#7 Guest_SloughShark_*

Guest_SloughShark_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:35 AM

Hello and welcome Frank!

There certainly is a wealth of information on this site. Your perch looks great, and your loaches are stunning!! Do you keep any other loach species?

Cheers,
Taylor

#8 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2008 - 05:50 PM

Are those Rudd in your picture?

I have a book called 'Fish of Lakes and Rivers' by K. Pecl talks all about Eurasian fishes

#9 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:39 PM

I hope to find here stimulative exchange !

Oh dear. Well, we can TRY!

#10 Guest_Perchfriend_*

Guest_Perchfriend_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:33 AM

Do you keep any other loach species?

Cheers,
Taylor

Hi Tyalor,

yes, I do: Misgurnus fossilis (European Weatherfish), M. anguillicaudatus (Oriental Weatherfish / Dojo), Paramisgurnus dabryanus (Large Scale Loach). In former times I kept Cobitis taenia (Northern Spined Loach). And the one at the picture is Barbatula barbatula (Stone Loach).

Frank

#11 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:52 PM

To find someone who has darters or Yellow Perches is nearly not possible.

It looks like you have managed to find some yellow perches. And they are quite nice, also!

#12 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:37 PM

Welcome to the forum. I am very interested in your posts as I don't have much knowledge of the fish fauna in Europe and would like to learn.

It looks like you have managed to find some yellow perches.

There is a perch species native to Europe, maybe that is what is pictured in this post?

Andy

#13 Guest_Perchfriend_*

Guest_Perchfriend_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:04 PM

Hello !

The perches in my picture are the european Perca fluviatilis. They are very common in nearly all kind of waters. It is interesting that the ones from brownish water glimmer somewhat greenish or brownish and others originated from the very blue mountain lakes, they glimmer exactly in this specific kind of blue.

I havn't managed to find darters and yellow perches yet. So does anybody knows a dealer who delivers to Europe. It seems to be very difficult ...

Frank

#14 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:38 PM

I havn't managed to find darters and yellow perches yet. So does anybody knows a dealer who delivers to Europe. It seems to be very difficult ...

Between USA export laws, and Germany import laws, is it legal to ship them to Germany?

US Postal Service Code Section 642 prohibits mailing "most live animals" in international mail. That would seem to include fish. Whether they can be shipped via some other carrier, I don't know. If it can be documented to be legal, and a carrier is willing to ship them, I and others might be willing to send you some. That might take some research. Does anybody know?

#15 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:26 PM

Welcome to the site. Sadly NA native keepers are rare here as well but at least the fish are easier to find. Good luck with your search. I have an interest in European fishes myself so its nice to see a member that keeps them.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users