Fat fish

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 01:33 PM

In some of my river tanks I keep shiners and darters together. In order for the darters to get enough food I prefeed with flake, then feed frozen foods. The shiners eat a ton and are becoming very fat. If I caught these fish during a research project I would say they have a very high condition index, sometimes used a general measure of health. So, is it ok to have fat shiners in my aquarium? What are some of the possible risks?

Thanks

#2 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 01:45 PM

Personally I have the same trouble. In order to feed the rest of the tank the best eaters get fat. I've never had a problem with fat shiners. I guess I'm painting with a broad brush but I've not had a problem with Lythrurus, Notropis, Cyprinella Luxilus or Phoxinus.

#3 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:10 PM

I find that the best way to feed darters in a tank with shiners is to drop thawed bloodworms down a plastic tube to the bottom, while at the same time feeding flakes to the shiners. Done in the same place, the darters even learn to go to the "cafeteria".

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:34 PM

I find that the best way to feed darters in a tank with shiners is to drop thawed bloodworms down a plastic tube to the bottom, while at the same time feeding flakes to the shiners. Done in the same place, the darters even learn to go to the "cafeteria".

That is a great idea!

#5 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:45 PM

you got your darter to eat flake or pellet

#6 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:52 PM

Most of my darters will eat flakes.

#7 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 07:35 AM

Many of my darters will eat New Life SPectrum small fish pellets.

#8 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:37 AM

That is a great idea!

Not my idea originally. I think I got it off the NANFA listserve. Wish I were that practical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users