Medieval lamprey recipe

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:28 PM

It is often said that King Henry I of England died from consuming a "surfeit of lampreys". This could very well be the recipe that was used, posted here in the original Middle English for the benefit of all you invasive species haters. Doesn't sound half bad, either :P

http://www.godecooke...ke/nboke73.html

Sauce Pour Lamprey

PERIOD: England, 15th century | SOURCE: Harleian MS. 4016 | CLASS: Authentic

DESCRIPTION: Blood Sauce for Fish

ORIGINAL RECEIPT:

Take a quyk lamprey, And lete him blode at the nauell, And lete him blode in an earthen potte; And scalde him with hey, and wassh him clene, and put him [on a spitte;] and sette the vessell with the blode vnder the lamprey while he rosteth, And kepe the licoure that droppeth oute of him; And then take oynons, and myce hem small, And put hem yn a vessell with wyne or water, And let hem parboyle right well; And then take awey the water, and put hem in a faire vessell; And then take pouder of Canell and wyne, And drawe hem thorgh a streynour, and cast [hit to] the oynons, and set ouer the fire, and lete hem boyle; And cast a litull vinegre and parcely there-to, and a litul peper; And then take the blode and the dropping of the lamprey, and cast thereto [& lete buille to-gedrys till it be a litell thykke, & cast thereto] pouder ginger, vynegre, salt, and a litull saffron; And whan the lamprey is rosted ynowe, ley him in a faire chargeour, And caste all the sauce apon him, And so serue him forth.

- Austin, Thomas. Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books. Harleian MS. 279 & Harl. MS. 4016, with extracts from Ashmole MS. 1429, Laud MS. 553, & Douce MS 55. London: for The Early English Text Society by N. Trübner & Co., 1888.

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:58 PM

That is excellent! I love Middle English.

#3 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:15 PM

Actually a really good recipe. This is the same way I have prepared Sea lamprey a few times and It is always quite good and tasty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users