Lagodon rhomboides

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Michelle_*

Guest_Michelle_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:23 PM

Does anyone know how to care for a pinfish. It is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long. It is in my quarantine tank. I would like to put it eventually into my main tank but I am not sure how aggressive this fish would be with my different killifish, mollys, creek chubsuckers ... Is it difficult to keep? I released my green sunfish that I caught in my pond immediately back into the pond because I felt certain that they would not work in my community tank. This little pinfish is beautiful and too small for now to eat anyone ( I think). I am going to remove my Bluefins to a smaller tank as some of my Marsh Killies and Mummichogs seem to be looking at them like they could be a snack.
Thanks in advance,
Michelle

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:46 PM

Does anyone know how to care for a pinfish. It is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long. It is in my quarantine tank. I would like to put it eventually into my main tank but I am not sure how aggressive this fish would be with my different killifish, mollys, creek chubsuckers ... Is it difficult to keep? I released my green sunfish that I caught in my pond immediately back into the pond because I felt certain that they would not work in my community tank. This little pinfish is beautiful and too small for now to eat anyone ( I think). I am going to remove my Bluefins to a smaller tank as some of my Marsh Killies and Mummichogs seem to be looking at them like they could be a snack.
Thanks in advance,
Michelle

What salinity is your tank? I'm pretty sure they need at least moderately brackish water. The other fish you list sound fine, but I'd be concerned about trying to maintain chubsuckers and pinfish together. The salinity preferences would just be too different I think.

#3 Guest_Michelle_*

Guest_Michelle_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:41 AM

My tank has no salt in it at all. It is freshwater. The quarantine tank that I place the Pinfish in has 1 teaspoon per gallon. I added this after I read that they are marine/ brackish/ freshwater fish. Just how much salt do I need per gallon for a pinfish or to create a brackish environment? I just thought of something else too. I don't think that my plants would like too much salt. Are there plants I can use in my tank that wouldn't mind some salt?

What salinity is your tank? I'm pretty sure they need at least moderately brackish water. The other fish you list sound fine, but I'd be concerned about trying to maintain chubsuckers and pinfish together. The salinity preferences would just be too different I think.

Edited by Michelle, 10 August 2008 - 06:49 AM.

#4 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:33 PM

Your fish is going to die in freshwater

#5 Guest_AndrewAcropora_*

Guest_AndrewAcropora_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:26 AM

I second Gambusia's verdict. Add salt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users