American version of Java Moss?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:48 AM

All,

I recently went collecting in a stream near my house and found some moss growing on rocks underwater that looks like Java Moss. Is there an American version of "Java Moss"? I collected a bunch of this stuff, so if anyone wants me to send them some for an ID, I can do that. Here's a photo, too. Thanks in advance!

Attached File  P8150002_Moss_600x450.jpg   60.55KB   1 downloads

#2 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:22 AM

Often called Fontinalis Moss or Willow Moss. The true forms of those only live in cool streams. The moss you have does well only outdoors, it becomes quite sparse indoors, although I had it grow very green - but still not much mass to the bunch - in a tank high in plant nutrients.

Nothing is impossible. Possibly giving it soft driftwood to grow on might help it grow. That seems to be what makes it do best outdoors in the water, being attached to wood that is starting to break down.

This same moss grows on land in a more typical form forming kind of low nap carpet dark green in color. The are other mosses that look much different on land that will grow in the water in similar from. But so far I have not found one that can do what Java Moss does in aquariums.

#3 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:02 AM

I have the same experience as Ray. It is very pretty in the wild. I find it lushly near springs and high quality water. It will grow in aquariums with good light but very slowly. If you have any Java Moss it will be quickly overtaken.
If you can find a clump still attached to a piece of wood put it in a tank ( no Java Moss ) and have some decent lighting with not excessive heat. In about a year it will still be alive and about twice as large.
Not prolific, but native and pretty.

#4 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:15 PM

Thanks, guys! The stuff actually grows on stones in a warmwater creek I frequent. Maybe I'll take a small stone home next time. I've already put some on driftwood in one of my tanks. We'll have to see how that grows. I've got it in a 29-gallon tank with 2 compact fluorescent tubes over the tank and am supplementing the tank with FloraPride by Tetra. I hope it takes-off! Thanks!

Brian

Brian J. Torreano - Owner
BTDarters
American Native Fish for
your aquarium...and more!
Web: http://www.btdarters.com
Phone: (262) 268-7489

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users