Wading shoes

25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Clayton_*

Guest_Clayton_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 02:13 PM

Up till now I've always just grabbed a ratty old pair of tennis shoes. Every hour or so I have to dump out a few pounds of sharp pointy rocks, but they've been working reasonably well. Last time out wade fishing I managed to bust my butt, and it has me questioning my choice. I was thinking about getting some more specialized footwear for the task.

I see a lot of features on the shoes that I like(drain ports, reinforced ankle supports, stiffer toe guards, better closure designs etc.), but I'm confused as to which soles to pick. The felt vs lug material seems to be designed with specific terrain in mind. I assume the lug soles handle pretty similarly to any other chunky treaded outdoor shoe, but I've never dealt with the felt.

The creeks I frequent seem to vary from knee-deep mud, to sand, to various sizes of rocky bottom, to flat algae covered limestone bottoms. Some of the substrates seem to favor one sole over the other, but I'm unsure of how they'll handle in the others. So I don't know which style would be the safest choice.

What do you guys prefer? If you've got specific brands/styles that you've had good experiences with I'd be interested in those as well.

#2 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 02:47 PM

My favorite and current water shoes i've had for about 2 or 3 years now. They are zip up the side, ankle length, felt bottomed shoes. I carefully punched 1/4 holes on the inner side just at the arch to drain water out once im out of the creek.
The only thing i dont like about them, i recently learned. While walking on a muddy steep trail they can be slippery and my legs went out from under me and i hit the ground hard.
Oddly they grip very well on slippery rocks, the real concern for me.
That is probably the most dangerous thing of our hobby, slipping and breaking a bone or hitting your head.
They keep gravel out, are easy to put on, ( i add neoprene socks while cold water snorkeling ) and are fairly tough. They are not heavy duty enough for hardcore rock kicking while seining but way better than tennis shoes or sandals for easy seining.

I have yet to see the value of rubber lug type soles.

Whatever you get, do NOT get velcro in lew of laces or zippers. They will not stay closed. I've had to rig my heavy duty boots with grommets, clips and bungis.

#3 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 03:50 PM

I have yet to see the value of rubber lug type soles.

You just list them all... :)

While walking on a muddy steep trail they can be slippery and my legs went out from under me and i hit the ground hard.

They are not heavy duty enough for hardcore rock kicking while seining.

For the 5% better grip on low productivity trout stream substrates (ie nothing on the rocks except a thin film of periphyton that'll throw you striaght on your duff), with the easy rest knowing you didn't just transfer organisms from one stream to another in the felt... My 95% vote of confidence is lug soles.

The pair I've been using are the Hodgman Bantam lugs... They've passed the Crail test in making it through 2 full years of hard core rock kickin', mussel substrate breakin' action. I've never had a pair last 6 months before severe disrepair. I think I'll be getting an entire 3rd season out of this pair. The thicker upper also helps protect your ankle bones when you're kicking.

http://www.hodgman.c...8...58&view.y=6

If you're predominantly in low productivity type streams (like trout streams) - consider the felt bottom. But for everywhere else in the world... I'd go lug.

Todd

#4 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 03:59 PM

I would never venture out onto the water without felt soles. As Casper said, wading is by far the most dangerous part of our hobby [after we get off the highway at least]. Wading at night, alone, with high surf as I frequently do while striper fishing, I can not afford a slip. Felt grips wet moss covered rocks amazingly well. The only thing better are big heavy strap on metal cleats which are a nightmare to use.
Until I came to this forum I never encountered wader wearers that did not like felt. Apparently in some areas where slippery rocks are rare, people don't use felt. There is no place in New England without rocks.
I never had trouble with felt slipping in mud but I can see how it might happen. I guess I must subconsciencly adjust my stride for mud without realizing it.
The one thing I do watch out for is when walking in sand and stepping up onto the rocks. Wet sand sticks to the felt and makes it slippery on the rocks. You just have to remember to bang your shoes against the rocks or rinse them in the water to get rid of sand on the felt.
Felt soled wading shoes designed to be worn with stocking foot waders can be had for ~ $50.00. When I wade wet, I use dive booties in my wading shoes [they fit too loosely for socks].
The sand and gravel getting in is always a problem. You can get gravel cuffs to go over them and some expensive waders come with them.

#5 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:37 PM

I would never venture out onto the water without felt soles. As Casper said, wading is by far the most dangerous part of our hobby [after we get off the highway at least]. Wading at night, alone, with high surf as I frequently do while striper fishing, I can not afford a slip. Felt grips wet moss covered rocks amazingly well. The only thing better are big heavy strap on metal cleats which are a nightmare to use...

I'll second that. Felt all the way. Booties I feel are a must and padding on the sides of the shoe works wanders for kicking.
He's my wading shoe .
Super comfortable, though they are lowtop I haven't had any bruised ankles or complaints.

Edited by natureman187, 15 August 2008 - 06:37 PM.

#6 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:01 PM

I'd like to write a longer reply to this later since in the past year we have switched from felt to rubber soles as a department wide mandate but I'm trying wrap things up because I'm heading out early in the morning. Felt soles are a magnet for didymo. If you are in a state with VHS, whirling disease, didymo, zebra mussels, etc. I highly recommend leaving felt behind entirely, getting a second pair, or at least carrying a 5-10% bleach solution with you to decontaminate between water bodies. You wouldn't want to be the one responsible for the introduciton of one of these invasives into your favorite water body or state, would you?

#7 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:28 PM

The last two seasons I've been using Croc imitations for wading in various mid-South streams, and on Gulf beaches. For ~$10, they've worked hugely well. The place they don't work so well is on exposed limestone bedrock with diatom/algal mats, but almost nothing works there except felt. These shoes also drain quickly, and provide reasonable protection whilst executing various darter dancing moves. And if you're sick of people walking around looking like Bozo in brightly colored crocs, so am I, mine are dark blue or black.

#8 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:03 PM

I wore Crocs wading once and had to go get a tetanus shot. In addition to their easy pierce-ability, rocks get in when you walk in gravel.

I've been wearing lug soles as Farmertodd advised. I've been happy with them every time but once, when I fell three times in a slippery rock bottomed river. But, I'm also a novice.

#9 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:40 PM

Crocs? Thats insane, I think those would last a day for me. Anyways, I like felt soles as well along with booties and gravel guards. Felt is not so fun going down about 60 degree clay/mud banks lol, but otherwise they are pretty safe in the water. Here is a link to my pair, they are really light (allowing you to fly through the water) they drain really well and provide good ankle protection http://www.orvis.com...;subcat_id=6047

#10 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:51 PM

I wouldn't use my pseudo-crocs if I was to walk on gilded splinters, but they work in most regional streams. Three of us use them without any cuts or exposures to epizootics; it could just be clean living?

#11 Guest_Clayton_*

Guest_Clayton_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:26 PM

haha, thanks for your conflicting opinions! Seriously though thanks for the input. We do seem to have VHS in at least parts of Indiana. I'll certainly take that into consideration. I've seen a few slip on type cleats, and a pair of boots with removable/replaceable soles. If the felt soles are reasonable maybe I'll just buy a different sole for each body of water I wade. It is a fairly limited number.

I'm heading down to the Bass Pro Shop in Clarskville tomorrow. I'll try some on and see how they feel and compare some prices with what you guys have linked. Thanks again.

#12 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:33 AM

Wading shoes?

I must be getting old.

I can remember High Top Keds and electricians tape.............

On a more serious side, I did fall our of a boat while in full hip boots. Had I not bent my legs at the knees quickly and caught some air in the foot section, I'd have hit bottom in 12' of dirty bayou water.

nm

#13 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:06 AM

Wading shoes?
Had I not bent my legs at the knees quickly and caught some air in the foot section, I'd have hit bottom in 12' of dirty bayou water.
nm

The sinking to the bottom in waders theory is a myth. Waders full of water don't weigh anymore than the surrounding water [well, the weight of the waders themselves is added but it won't drag you to the bottom].
The late, great Lee Wulff [famous flyfisherman] is said to have jumped off a bridge into a salmon river wearing waders to prove it.
I've filled waders with water many times and even had to swim a few strokes to get back from a sand bar when the tide snuck up on me. It's not easy to swim in 'em but you won't sink.
If you're still worried, neoprene is actually buoyant and fits so tight not much water can get in. Forget wearing neoprene in hot weather though.

The didymo thing is something I forgot about. I think the connection is pretty well established. Makes sense. That's tough to get around. I wouldn't want my [cheap] expensive wading shoes soaked in bleach. I'm afraid they'd fall apart PDQ.
I just did a quick google on cleats and see that some wading shoes now come with cleats, some are removable. I wouldn't buy built in cleats but removable ones might be the ticket. See some here:http://www.nextag.co...ats/search-html
The guys who fish ocean rocks at night in surf need the best grip available. Many swear by strap on cleats. I hate 'em myself but admit they keep you on your feet when things get really slippery. Korkers are the best known. See them here;korkers

Edited by mikez, 16 August 2008 - 09:14 AM.

#14 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2008 - 01:10 PM

Neoprene and nylon waders don't.... But rubber and rubberized canvas waders certainly do and create a tremendous amount of tow in current, like a sail, thus pulling you feet first (thus dunking your head and leaving it prone to smack on a rock, crushing your occipital), and is where this notion, what you're calling a "myth", was formed.

I know, god forbid someone be stuck with that as their option, but that's the reality of the situation. There ARE still people who use rubber waders. I'm not going to argue with someone about the soles of the boots (althought I'm pretty sure the arguments are geographically limited, and not covering southern Indiana :) ), but this particular suggestion can get someone killed just about anywhere if there's the right conditions to make wrong choices. In fact, a close friend of mine watched in helpless horror as someone died this way during the walleye run here in Toledo about 10 years ago.

I guess I'm just asking for some consideration on how you form and make recommendations about these various types of gear (myself included). If your experience is limited to a single environ or gear type, perhaps it should be stated so. For example, phrasing "Well, here in the northeast.." or "Nylon or neoprene waders won't fill, and are preferable for comfort AND safety", etc. I should have said "for the Central Midwest region..." I'm learning too :)

Just 2 cents, a gentle caution, and I hope you didn't read this as a rebuke in "Email Demon Voice" ™ :)

Todd

#15 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2008 - 01:50 PM

Hmmmm......

You know you all might be right about being able to swim with waders.

The problem i faced back then and the same problem that kills an an occasional hunter or two each year is the amount of clothes you also have on that get water soaked. You just can't swim hard enough to keep your head up and when your arms get tired you sink head first.....your floating waders may in fact help drown if your head goes down...although I am NOT 100% sure.

Now, I will also admit, I was NOT wearing any kind of life vest and that was probably a no no also .......1960's...I'm not sure the lightweigh vests were even out yet. Everything was orange kapok.

Maybe we can send this to Mythbusters?

Anyway, the only time I put waders on now is if I am in a catfish pond........

sa va,
nm

#16 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2008 - 01:55 PM

I wouldn't use my pseudo-crocs if I was to walk on gilded splinters, but they work in most regional streams. Three of us use them without any cuts or exposures to epizootics; it could just be clean living?

Ha Ha! I'm sure that's it.

It seems there is no 'best' wading shoe. It all boils down to preference and where you use 'em.

#17 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:20 PM

I'm not sure what suggestion I made that could get someone killed.
Maybe you meant my mention of Lee Wulff jumping off the bridge?
I stand by my statement that water is neutrally buoyant in water. Full waders will not sink you to the bottom. I've proved that to my own satisfaction. It is a persistent myth which I always attempt to debunk when I hear it.
As far as the rubber/canvas waders being more dangerous, well, that's news to me. Several generations of fishermen had nothing else available and managed to survive. The first river I ever fell into was a high flow large trout river. I was 10 years old and wearing rubber/canvas waders.
The waders I metioned above, where I swam the gap after being trapped on a sand bar, were rubber/canvas. Between my trout fishing and striper fishing, I wade the highest flow, strongest currents available in the northeast. I'm confident you won't find any higher [not in flood] flows anywhere else.
Having said that, I will certainly agree with the inherent danger of wading in strong current.
If you have never done it before, ease into it by wading more gentle waters at first. If you're not steady on you feet don't do it. Where slippery rocks exist, don't wade without felt or cleats. Lug soles may as well be ice skates. Many anglers use a wading staff attached by a cord to their belt. When moving around they use the staff. When fishing, the staff dangles from the cord in the current. Wade with a partner.
Really, I'm down playing my own wading practices. The stuff I've done I'd never admit here. :rolleyes: Alot of that is experience and confidence [some say stupidity, but I'm still here]. If you don't have both, be very cautious about where and how you wade. No fish is worth dying over.

#18 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:44 PM

I meant to add that we may be talking about two different myths. The waders full of water sinking you in deep water is very much a myth - again water doesn't sink in water. This myth has existed for decades.
I've never heard the one about rubber waders dunking your head in strong current but I have fell in many strong rivers over the years and nothing like that has happened to me.
Maybe I'm too confident. I learned to swim as a toddler, waded large rivers in grammer school, got my dive certification at 16 and was qualified as a "Senior Lifesaver" by the YMCA the same year.
If you're not fully confident in your own water safety, I'd think twice about wading in strong current, no matter what your waders are made of.
Also, I'd much rather take my chances with felt on mud then face wet rocks without it. By suggesting people not use felt, I think you are more prone to get someone in trouble than I am.
And no, I didn't take it as "Email Demon Voice". I hope you won't take my reply that way.
Obviously the only way to resolve this is for me to visit your home waters wearing felt soles. Then I have to get you into one of my home rivers without felt. :tongue:
I'm confident you'll see it my way...if you survive. :twisted:

#19 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:38 PM

The didymo thing is something I forgot about. I think the connection is pretty well established. Makes sense. That's tough to get around. I wouldn't want my [cheap] expensive wading shoes soaked in bleach. I'm afraid they'd fall apart PDQ.
I just did a quick google on cleats and see that some wading shoes now come with cleats, some are removable. I wouldn't buy built in cleats but removable ones might be the ticket. See some here:http://www.nextag.co...ats/search-html
The guys who fish ocean rocks at night in surf need the best grip available. Many swear by strap on cleats. I hate 'em myself but admit they keep you on your feet when things get really slippery. Korkers are the best known. See them here;korkers

My Cabela's neoprene felt sole are just fine after many soakings. Cabela's felt sole wading boots discolored (from green to hot pink) but nothing deteriorated. The Simms aquastealth sole boots haven't even discolored and are awesomely comfortable. The stocking foot breathable waders discolor but the bleach solution has done nothing visibly harmful that multiflora rose, green briar, barbed wire, and rocks don't do a hell of a lot better. I'm wearing these 100 days a year too, so almost 200 decontaminations. If anything the bleach keeps them cleaner looking and smelling better than they would otherwise. Some discoloration and minimal at best wear is alot better than your favorite stream being carpeted by brown silica encrusted diatom mats.

#20 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:07 AM

I'm confident you'll see it my way...if you survive. :twisted:

LOL! :)

I don't question whether you will sink, you won't. I'm on the next problem you'll have...

In rubber and rubberized canvas, during a fall, air is trapped in the waders (ie you didn't ease your way in or go in feet first), which makes the feet more bouyant, thus further preventing reestablishment of firm footing, esp when someone is shocked by cold water or panicked because of fast current. I had a friend drift almost 15 feet before I grabbed him - his comment was "I couldn't get my feet back down". I guess that's just another reason to go sock-foot, there's a whole other conversation ;)

If you can't get "your feet back down" in a gentle current, what happens when you're panicked and suddenly thrust into high discharges? Which is what my friend witnessed on the fella he watched die... They never saw his head as he went downstream. They watched his feet come in an out of view, you know, since he didn't sink <evil grin>.

The short of it is that people have died all through the years - my current question is whether rates have dropped because there's less people fishing, or if nylon and neoprene have just made falling less trouble since they tend to hug your body more quickly, thus preventing that air problem.

I think your advice is best. If you're unsure, stay out of questionable situations. I just didn't want someone to get the impression that because water is neutrally boyuant in water, that waders made it no more likely to drown. With certain types in some situations, they are a definate added liability.

Todd

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users