Western v.s Eastern Gambusia Female

1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:16 PM

How can I tell difference between Western and Eastern Mosquitofish females? I think I have both of these species, however I don't have any males with them (expect melanistic Eastern male). Some females have spots on dorsal & caudal fins (I think they are Eastern) and some females have clear fins (Western probably?). All females come from different sources.

Oh by way are intersex mosquitofish existed? The reason is because I have an odd female's anal fin don't look right as the first rays are longer than rest of females and almost look like "she" is gonna change into a male except she is over 2 inch long!

#2 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:34 PM

How can I tell difference between Western and Eastern Mosquitofish females? I think I have both of these species, however I don't have any males with them (expect melanistic Eastern male). Some females have spots on dorsal & caudal fins (I think they are Eastern) and some females have clear fins (Western probably?). All females come from different sources.

Oh by way are intersex mosquitofish existed? The reason is because I have an odd female's anal fin don't look right as the first rays are longer than rest of females and almost look like "she" is gonna change into a male except she is over 2 inch long!

I think Easterns have 7 anal or dorsal (can't remember, it's been a while since I was really into the Gambusia species) rays and Westerns have 9 or vice versa.

The one's with spots on the fins are most likely Eastern while the ones with clear most likely Western, but there are exceptions. And remember, the Western species/subspecies (whichever you prefer) has been widely used for mosquito control, so some of your specimens could very likely be hybrids.

I've had females with extended rays but never changed sex. It may just be a gene that some of them carry. I would still keep an eye on it though, since anything is possible!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users