Electrofishing

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:07 AM

2 Questions need answer ASAP Please.........

• When electrofishing, what is the proper terminology used for the amount of "juice" you crank up and put in the water? [ amps, cycles, watts, volts ?]
  • What is the preferred amount of "juice" for fish .50cm to 10cm?

sa va,
nm

#2 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:18 AM

OK.........no bites on the electrofishing question. Thank you all anyway, Deleware DNR answered that for me.

NEW QUESTION

Is there any information on fish avoidance and electromagnetism? Not hard wired amps....just a magnetic field?

I know that some small sharks will avoid ANY magnet.........but larger ones don't.

nm

#3 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:49 AM

I thought I replied to this with a long response the same day? Apparently not...hmmm

Avoidance like the electric barriers used in the midwest?

#4 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:13 PM

I thought I replied to this with a long response the same day? Apparently not...hmmm

Avoidance like the electric barriers used in the midwest?

What i was thinking about was more like magnets......neodymium , alnico, ceramic...etc.

Low magnetic field....really low..... not like a fish barrier or a electro shockingn .....just enough to move or nudge a little this way or that.

Sorry for the generic description.....

nm

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:51 PM

Interesting idea, NM - I see where this is heading. Yellowfin tuna and Atlantic salmon are believed to be magnetoreceptive. As for FW fishes - I dunno.

#6 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:20 PM

Interesting idea, NM - I see where this is heading. Yellowfin tuna and Atlantic salmon are believed to be magnetoreceptive. As for FW fishes - I dunno.

I am definitely looking at this.
Maybe one of these "bright boys" at some university will send me a PM and we can make him famous with a doctoral thesis.....eh?

FYI

I am still trying to get Nitto to re-think the Moji net issue.
Times are tough and maybe they just might cut a few hundred kg loose my direction.
It didn't hurt to ask......

nm

#7 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:57 PM

Greg,

AFS has an electrofishing email list server on their main page right now, seems to have been started up just recently by FWS.

#8 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:10 PM

Greg,

AFS has an electrofishing email list server on their main page right now, seems to have been started up just recently by FWS.

Thank you.

will scope it out.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users