silversides

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:30 PM

how do you catch and keep alive? I have tried 4 times and they always die in 5-10 days I have tried brook and inland and ifI can keep them a live I want to try waccamaw silversides I have a 29 tall for them is that big anoph? ( sorry bad speller)

#2 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:42 PM

Silversides can be difficult to maintain. The trick is to collect them in the winter and to not remove them from the water.

On another note, I believe that the Waccamaw silverside is protected due to its very small range.

#3 Guest_ShinersRock_*

Guest_ShinersRock_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:57 PM

I had caught a few brook silversides on a collecting trip. They were doing just fine until they got too close to the filter. I think they are not very good swimmers, as when they got wrapped on the filter, and got off, they would be swimming upside down, and soon die. So I gave up on them.

#4 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2006 - 02:21 PM

They are generally found in slower flowing water for sure, but not always. Sounds like your's may have been compromised in some other way before the filter attacked them.

#5 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2006 - 04:47 PM

thanks guys and also do they eat prepared foods mine never ate any thing but bbs

#6 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2006 - 05:23 PM

They ate all prepared foods for me.

#7 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:57 AM

As Dustin said, Waccamaw silversides are protected. Even if they weren't, you shouldn't try to keep them if you've been unable to maintain brook or inland silversides.

#8 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:25 PM

I had a small shoal of 5 or 6 of them. They are finicky, as in they lived for about a month and then slowly started to dissappear in the aquarium. I currently only have one left, but it is eating flake and pellet food.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users