Are the blue pickerel really extinct

26 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:17 PM

Here's a photo of the inside of one of the "Emerald Pikes" (Esox americanus). I did not notice that the muscle tissue was green, but the liver was a _very_ dark blue-green:
smallIMGA0914.jpg

#22 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:04 PM

Is it possible these fish were treadted with a dye of some kind ?
like Methylene Blue,Potassium Permanganate or maybe Malachite Green
you did say the fish was in a trout/fish pond was it tread with med's or
or just a dye to change the hue of the water.could this be the cause of the
tinted flesh and skin?

#23 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:57 AM

Is it possible these fish were treadted with a dye of some kind ?
like Methylene Blue,Potassium Permanganate or maybe Malachite Green
you did say the fish was in a trout/fish pond was it tread with med's or
or just a dye to change the hue of the water.could this be the cause of the
tinted flesh and skin?

I can't speak to the fish that originated this thread, but my Emerald Pike were not treated with anything. I acquired them from a friend's private pond. There where hundreds of other, normally colored, pickerel produced from that same pond during the same time period. We only ever saw two of these green ones. And believe me, I was looking for them after that! One was only about 2 inches long when I got it. It maintained and increased its green color as it grew to adulthood in my indoor aquaria. I never used any dye treatments. Both were killed later by an algae bloom in their outdoor tank. I suppose it's possible that the liver was colored by material from the algae. But the fish's external green color was present for years before that.

Mark

#24 Guest_mudminnow_*

Guest_mudminnow_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2009 - 04:42 PM

I know this is an older thread, but I thought that I would add my own experience of blue-fleshed fish. I grew up on the coast of California, and we often caught Lingcod and Cabezon while fishing. These two fish species (especially the Lingcod) often had fillets that were a distinctive baby blue color. We often joked that it was because we caught the fish near Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant. But, the blue color quickly left the meat when the meat was cooked. So anyway, to me, it doesn’t seem odd to catch a fish with blue flesh. Then again, I don’t think Pickerals are all that similar to Lingcods or Cabezons.

#25 Guest_dlc1_*

Guest_dlc1_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

I caught a blue chin chain pickerel in the pine barrons of nj last july, it was the first blue one i ever caught (about 19") only its chin and inside of its mouth were blue... a great catch and a beautyful fish.
I once caught a all dark brown chain pickerel in cranberry nj as a kid, my pop told me it was a genetic mutation, but still was a great catch.

#26 Guest_Esocidae_*

Guest_Esocidae_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

this may not be relevant but two years back in michigan i caught a small walleye of a silvery dark color possibly the real blue pickerel are just extra rare and making a comeback ps i came from a small town called freeland in the saginaw area and we have a walleye festival each year in the spring i didnt think anything of it at first cuz i didnt know that blue walleye even existed then a couple of months later i was looking around on the internet and i see a couple of websites talking about blue walleye and it fits the description of the fish i caught
i dont care if people dont believe me but if any body else has a similar story please share it
as i said i dont have any pics cuz i didnt think anything of it, just another small walleye that had an unusual dark color and silvery sheen

Edited by Esocidae, 15 November 2012 - 02:29 PM.

#27 Guest_Gavinswildlife_*

Guest_Gavinswildlife_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

I have heard of normal walleye having a blue color morph. True blue pike/walleye
were only native to lake erie though.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users