Freshwater Flounder/Hogchoker?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Conner_*

Guest_Conner_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:06 AM

Hey, just wondering if you guys could help me out. I was in Alaska for most of the summer, so my younger brother was taking care of my tank. He had some freshwater fish that he no longer wanted, so he stuck them in my 125g show tank. One of them was a "freshwater flounder". I don't know the official name of the fish, but from reading some of the posts on this site, I think it might be the fish people refer to as hogchoker. Can anybody help with a positive ID? His body is about 3 inches long, and his tail adds another .5-.75 inches. He's changed his color several times to match that of his surroundings as well. Thanks!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:42 AM

Sure looks like a hogchoker to me.

#3 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:39 PM

Hog choker almost certainly

#4 Guest_Conner_*

Guest_Conner_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:37 AM

Huh, funny that I was reading about them here on this site, thinking it would be a nice fish to have, and then I find out I already had one after all :)

This guy is in my tropical fish tank, temp about 80F, with a pretty deep (3-5" variance across the tank) sand bed and live plants. Any reason to believe he shouldn't do well in there? He's been in it for about 2 months, and my brother had him in a tank with his other tropicals for about a year before he gave him to me. He seems to be active (for a flounder), and has grown to a decent size so far. He's obviously eating or he wouldn't have survived so long. I'm going to try spot feeding bloodworms and brineshrimp with a pipette to see if he'll eat in front of me.

Thanks.

#5 Guest_Conner_*

Guest_Conner_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:16 PM

Does anyone know if hogchokers are know for eating snails? I haven't seen him eat any of the food I've put in the tank yet, although he is mostly only active once the light goes out. However, I have seen him settle with his mouth on top of small to medium size snails (Malaysian Trumpet Snails), and he sits there for a few minutes, sometimes shifting around, then moves on, leaving an apparently empty shell behind. Sometimes he will settle on several snails in a row. Thanks.

#6 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:55 PM

Does anyone know if hogchokers are know for eating snails? I haven't seen him eat any of the food I've put in the tank yet, although he is mostly only active once the light goes out. However, I have seen him settle with his mouth on top of small to medium size snails (Malaysian Trumpet Snails), and he sits there for a few minutes, sometimes shifting around, then moves on, leaving an apparently empty shell behind. Sometimes he will settle on several snails in a row. Thanks.

I don't know, but it sounds like you answered your own question.

#7 Guest_Fishfinatic_*

Guest_Fishfinatic_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

Has to be a hog choker considering that it lacks pectoral fins

#8 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

He'll really appreciate any kind of frozen food if it gets to the bottom. They're fun to watch eat. 80 degrees is well within their tolerance. The spot where I've caught them is tidal freshwater and varies seasonally between about 48-89 degrees.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users