I do have a yellow bullhead right?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Katie_1089_*

Guest_Katie_1089_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:24 PM

All I have right now are baby pictures, i'm not sure if they will be helpfull right now, but I figure they are better than nothing for now..

I was really certian that it was a yellow, untill I did some reasearch, and found out that yellows arnt suppost to be in lake champlain, and they must be, because he dident just get released in there on his own power...

Posted Image

#2 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:41 PM

It's a yellow bullhead alright. I just took a look at my book "The Inland Fishes of New York State" by C Lavett Smith and they are found in Lake Champlain.

#3 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:44 AM

looks like a yellow to me too. The 4 white barbels on the lower jaw in the center of the two dark ones give it away. Also I'm sure if you look at the anal fin it is rather long compared to other bullheads.

#4 Guest_Katie_1089_*

Guest_Katie_1089_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:17 PM

Thank you :)

He's pretty peacefull, dispite the fact of a few eaten fish, *moved him after those incidents* Currently he lives in a 55 gallon with 2 small plecos, 3 temporary angels and another predatory fish, the only probems I found was an angel had gotten stuck in the rock formation, not sure if it was chased or not.

I feed it on shrimp pellets and flake, but I was wondering if there was a better food I could/should feed?

#5 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:32 PM

any bullheads I have had have always done just fine on pellets and the shrimp pellets are good because they sink. I have had yellow, brown, black, spotted, and flat bullheads before. The spotted being by far my favorite. got a couple of them from the suwannee river in florida one time. Actually caught a whole bunch on hook and line and kept the smallest two. One my wife kept (before we were married ) in her dorm room and it fried when she left for break and the other I had a couple years till it jumped out! crazy, who ever heard of bullheads jumping!

#6 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:02 PM

nice bowfin and gar in back smbass how bout size of tank temp stats hardeness and other tank mates

#7 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:11 PM

Shrimp pellets will work fine as a staple but they will take just about anything so I would vary the diet a bit. My brown actually come to the surface for food and mostly gets cichlid pellets. Some earthworms, algae wafers, frozen foods and the like certainly won't hurt.

#8 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:27 AM

This reminds me, and is under " If I had only known". In the late 80's a local pet shop had some spotted bullheads. They were being sold as 'marbled cats'. :roll: I figured they were brown bullheads, which were nice, but certainly am not going to pay for them, when I can catch them in minnow traps all the time. I did think they sure were patterned nice, but figured that was because the current field guide I had at the time mentioned browns were highly variable.

Some time later I got a field guide which showed all six bullheads, and then it was too late. That pet shop couldn't get them anymore, it was out of business - well for fish. They still did dog grooming and stuff like that.

#9 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:55 AM

The LFS I visit sells "marbled bullhead" from time-to-time.

#10 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:46 AM

I have seen these so called "marbled bullheads" ocasionally in petstore too but they realy don't look like the spotteds I caught in florida. I think they are just a variation of browns. maybe an aquarium strain or maybe thats what browns look like from florida since most pet shop fish come from there. The tank pictured above was a 150 i had use of while in college and they paied for feeders so I had a bunch of predators. There was 2 longnose gar, 1 bowfin, 1 florida gar, 1 walleye, 1 sauger, 1 walleye X sauger, 2 flat bullheads, 1 large stonecat, the spotted bullhead, and a small northern pike (14" or so). had all but the pike in there most of my 4 years there. I have no idea what the water conditions were other than a very high pH because the tap water is around 8.5 in the area. All fish did well, all showed growth till I left. I took the bullheads with me and the spotted jumped out of a 40 breeder I have, the flat bullheads spawned and the male killed the female and the eggs never hatched. I also kept the 3 gar and the stonecat. One of my friends still has all three gar the male flat bullhead and the stonecat. I think the pike and the sauger walleye and saugeye unfortunately died after I left. The bowfin I had till about a year ago when it aparently choked on a large chub that I fed it. Since then I have gotten away from predators for the most part although I did bring home a young chain pickerel from the convention that I have now.

#11 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:39 AM

They could have been hyper mottled browns. Marbled Cat has a nice ring, probably used for both. :roll:

Kind of like when I saw sticklebacks for sale in a pet shop labeled African spiny backs. :shock:

#12 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:01 AM

African spiny backs

#-o

#13 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:28 PM

I don't think the "marbled" bullhead are browns. Though I have never seen spotted bullhead fry every young brown bullhead I have seen had no motted pattern, pretty much a solid black or brown. The mottled look on the browns IME comes with age.

#14 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:59 PM

We caught a few at the mingo national wildlife refuge at the convention and they were little guys (1-2") and had some mottling, not as much as the ones I've seen at pet stores but I have never seen a brown from florida where I suspect petstore bullheads would come from. We need someone who has caught some brown bullheads in florida near where all the commercial fish farms are too be able to settle this one for us. Even that still would not rule out a domesticated line used for the commercial pet fish trade.

#15 Guest_Katie_1089_*

Guest_Katie_1089_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2006 - 07:42 PM

I know what you mean, I love the spotted ones, been on my list for a while, but I want a larger tank first the biggest tank I have currently is a 55 gallon, but I'm going to wait untill I move out, I want a custom 200G.

I have noticed he loves the algae wafers, he and the larger pleco get along well, which suprises me, because at first the 2 plecos fought terribly over the hollow in the log, but the rock pile has satisfied both the small pleco and the catfish. no fighting 8)

I tried tubifex worms, but they treated them like what they looked like...stale frenchfrys..
And he also willingly ate flake, if we go fishing sometime soon, I'm going to collect some freshwater shrimp, those are a favoirte in all my tanks, well, when they keep up a pretty good breeding population that is, but its hard to maintain, because they need high O2 levels..

#16 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:20 PM

I took one of these home and put him in a coworkers office tank... thinking that I would get something that would grow up to look like that one in the nature center... well unfortunately, he has grown (at the expense of several shiner/chub tank mates) and is now obviously identifiable as a yellow bullhead sans mottling. I should have looked at the barbels closer, but I don't remember them being so lightly colored... then again he was only an inch long...

We caught a few at the mingo national wildlife refuge at the convention and they were little guys (1-2") and had some mottling, not as much as the ones I've seen at pet stores but I have never seen a brown from florida where I suspect petstore bullheads would come from. We need someone who has caught some brown bullheads in florida near where all the commercial fish farms are too be able to settle this one for us. Even that still would not rule out a domesticated line used for the commercial pet fish trade.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users