Puerto Rico - Collection Tips?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ouassous_*

Guest_Ouassous_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:51 AM

Hello.

I'm presently a high school student in Alexandria, Virginia, and I will probably be collecting in Puerto Rico for research purposes sometime between 11/23 and 11/26. Though I'm well aware that Puerto Rico does not fall within the Nearctic biogeographical realm, many of the species in question also occur along the Gulf Coast of the U.S.

My target species are restricted to amphidromous freshwater shrimp, namely large prawns of the genus Macrobrachium (M. carcinus, M. heterochirus, M. acanthurus, M. crenulatum, and M. faustinum); I may also obtain some filter-feeders (Atya spp., Potimirim spp., Micratya poeyi, and Jonga serrei) and X. elongata. Since permit issues have been resolved, does anyone have any pointers in terms of dip net/minnow trap/hand-collection tactics?

More importantly, how would you suggest I ship my specimens from San Juan to the mainland US? I'm presently leaning towards USPS. Keep in mind that these shrimp will have numerous sharp appendages, must be submerged in warm water at all times, and could be quite large (up to 20 cm or so). If any of you have colleagues who've undertaken comparable tasks, feel free to let them know of my predicament.

Thanks.
Alex Kim

#2 Guest_Ouassous_*

Guest_Ouassous_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:00 AM

Images from a reconnaissance trip I took two summers ago:

Cardisoma guanhumi

Posted Image

Two terrestrial snails (species undetermined) discovered on an underslung stretch of moss several meters from the foot of Coco Falls, El Yunque:

Posted Image

Atya lanipes:

Posted Image

Xiphocaris elongata:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Undetermined Macrobrachium 1:

Posted Image

Undetermined Macrobrachium 2:

Posted Image

M. acanthurus:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:28 AM

Those are some nice pics.

Can you ship them in styrofoam coolers? They are light, will hold water, and would maintain the temperature with a warmer included. The shipping may cost you a bit especially if you overnight them but if you can package them in one box you may be able to do it for less than $100.

#4 Guest_Ouassous_*

Guest_Ouassous_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:53 PM

Those are some nice pics.

Can you ship them in styrofoam coolers? They are light, will hold water, and would maintain the temperature with a warmer included. The shipping may cost you a bit especially if you overnight them but if you can package them in one box you may be able to do it for less than $100.

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't considered this option but styrofoam coolers do indeed look to be an excellent choice; do you have any personal experience with them? How about Tupperware-type plastic containers? Have you ever sent or received livestock through USPS?

Thanks.

#5 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:01 PM

I've shipped and received fish in breathing bags in a cooler. Breathing bags seem to be pretty durable so I've never had problems using them with fish. I don't know how they would hold up to your inverts. All the fish I've shipped has been through USPS. I have yet to have a problem with them. I've sent fish out Priority (2-3 days) and I've had fish sent to me Express (overnight).

I've received snails shipped Priority in a water bottle.

#6 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:22 PM

same here even the snails I ship with double bags I would triple for the larger ones

#7 Guest_Ouassous_*

Guest_Ouassous_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2006 - 06:20 AM

With adult specimens, at least, I think a rigid container might be preferrable:

http://www.shrimpcra...crobrachium.jpg

#8 Guest_Ouassous_*

Guest_Ouassous_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:30 AM

Has anyone ever brought live fish with them on an airplane in their checked luggage?

#9 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:00 PM

I brought a lizard (a little anole) back from Orlando in my checked luggage. They are all over the place down there, and my daughter wanted to take one home. It is in her room now, doing quite well. Never fish, though.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users