Albino Cave Crawfish In Florida

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:54 PM

I used to know a guy a long, long time ago that showed me an underwater video taken in an aquafer in Florida.
the white crawfish found there were supposed to be 100 years old.
It just struck my fancy to ask if this actually is a fact and what species are they?

sa va,
Greg

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:03 PM

There are a couple species of cave (troglobytic) crayfish that have lost pigment. Not sure about the age. I'm not sure any crayfish lives that long, let alone 10 years.

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:58 AM

I know some other troblobites, like Tennessee Cave Salamanders, mature more slowly than their surface-dwelling cousins and probably live much longer lives. 100 years seems pretty extreme, though. And how would you go about aging a crawdad, in any case? I think you were told a (cray)fish story.

Here's a list of endangered crayfish in Florida; it seems pretty heavy with cavedwellers. I don't know if any of them are white.

#4 Guest_Canadiancray_*

Guest_Canadiancray_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:50 AM

The cave crayfish in Florida are protected by law. They are white & have no eyes. These crayfish only live slightly longer than their normal cousins. Mostly due to lack of predation.

#5 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:07 PM

Well......... I guess I was boohooed .

Thank you all for the input.

Now, what about the ever elusive Louisiana Blue crawfish?

I was told again..by a different guy... that there is such a thing as a Blue crawfish.

I have seen a really large zoonangulus(?) that appeared to be bluish and I have seen a Clarkii that was kept in a fish tank for about 2 years that appeared bluish.
But, is there an actual blue crawfish

Greg

#6 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:46 PM

Several species have blue forms and some species are naturally blue. Getting back to the white crayfish thing, there are also white crayfish that are not cave dwellers, just one of there 'forms'. Off the top of my head, several Procambarus (clarkii, alleni, zonangulus) and Orconectes (immunis) have blue forms. Cambarus monogolensis is a blue species.

It cracks me up when you see those sold as "electric blue lobsters" or some other silly and misleading name for $25.00 a piece.

#7 Guest_Canadiancray_*

Guest_Canadiancray_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:07 PM

Crayfish come in any color imaginable.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

BABY WHITE P> ALLENI
Posted Image

ORANGE PROCAMBARUS CLARKII
Posted Image

ORCONECTES PROPINGUUS (BLUE FORM)
Posted Image

#8 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2008 - 08:06 AM

Beautiful pictures........

Say, what species are pixs 1,3 and 4?

They look like the little mound builders we call Devil Crawfish (aka Thunder crawfish, aka Coffin Cutters)

Once again, beautiful pictures.

BITD , I used to do a lot of sampling work for the USL Wetlands/Crawfish Research Center in Cade, La.
Professor J. Huner was the boss. He was well travelled and I miss all of the pictures he had of the world wide mud bugs.

These pixs are beautiful.

Greg

#9 Guest_Canadiancray_*

Guest_Canadiancray_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2008 - 08:39 AM

1) Cambarus dubius

3&4) Cherax sp. Hoa Creek (From Papua New guinea)

#10 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:40 PM

Devil crayfish (Cambarus diogenes) is a very wide ranging species that is a primary burrower. They represent a species complex and several have already been redescribed as new species.

#11 Guest_BLChristie_*

Guest_BLChristie_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:24 PM

Getting back to the original topic- there are a number of species of blind crayfish in Florida, as a cave diver they are always fascinating for me to see on a dive, here are a couple links:

http://gue.com/?q=en/node/597

http://www.floridaco...ongame/mw3.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users