Snails And Crayfish

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:15 PM

can one mix snails with crayfish? or are the snails going to be dinner?

#2 Guest_Sombunya_*

Guest_Sombunya_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:35 PM

Waiting for an answer myself.

#3 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:06 PM

Some of my crayfish tanks have snails in them. Some of the snails are large. As always with crayfish, you might get away with it, and you might not.

#4 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:26 PM

Agreed. If the snails stay on the glass, they may be fine. My 13 Gal was full of snails. After the addition of a crayfish, I still have several, but there is now a large mound of empty snail shells in front of his excavation. I try to keep him well fed, but casualties are inevitable. Although this is not so bad if you have such fast reproducing species lke pond and ramshorn snails. I have some Viviparis georgianus (large) that he has yet to bother (I think).

Edited by UncleWillie, 02 October 2008 - 10:29 PM.

#5 Guest_threegoldfish_*

Guest_threegoldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:02 AM

Thinner shelled snails like pond snails and ramshorns will definitely be meals of opportunity. My dwarf crays seem to pull them out of their shells and my large shrimp just chews right through the shells. Malaysian trumpet snails, however, appear to be harder nuts to crack. So far the only thing I've found that manages to eat them is my rainbow darter.

#6 Guest_Canadiancray_*

Guest_Canadiancray_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:52 AM

I would aggree. Only malaysian trumpets are safe. Even then its only the adults that are safe.

#7 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:27 PM

thanks guys can this snail be purchased at an aquarium store? if not where would someone from Maryland find some?

#8 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:42 PM

There are hard shelled snails in alot of streams around Baltimore, Harford and Carroll Co. I collected some small snails from the Monocacy River today. However, it is illegal collect (and posess) crayfish from the Monocacy River watershed. Maybe try something like Gwynns Falls, Deer Creek, or the Patapsco River.

#9 Guest_threegoldfish_*

Guest_threegoldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2008 - 05:34 PM

thanks guys can this snail be purchased at an aquarium store? if not where would someone from Maryland find some?

I have so many trumpets, I would gladly give you some. I can mail them or if you're going to be at the Catfish Convention in a couple of weeks, I'll be at the auction on Sunday.

#10 Guest_Ouassous_*

Guest_Ouassous_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:01 PM

Malaysian trumpet snails (Melanoides tuberculata: the scientific literature usually calls them red-rimmed melania) are usually not part of store stocklists but may be given away for free or for a trifling price if they are present in tanks. In many cases, they arrive in home aquaria as hitchhikers on store-bought plants. Apparently this wasn't always the case; this snail is a formidable invader in many parts of the U.S., and some early escapes have been attributed to a 1937 Tampa aquarium dealer who marketed them as "Philippine horn of plenty."

Be aware that they burrow and that they can be quite prolific.

Edited by Ouassous, 05 October 2008 - 04:04 PM.

#11 Guest_Canadiancray_*

Guest_Canadiancray_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:39 PM

Be aware that they burrow and that they can be quite prolific.

Thats a major understatement. :laugh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users