Collecting In Tampa Bay Freshwater

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_irishkc_*

Guest_irishkc_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:51 PM

I am interested in doing some small-scale collecting in the near future in and around the upper Hillsborough River (a few lakes around, plus I have access to a small farm pond ~4 acres). I will be looking to stock two 55 gallon tanks I should have up and running after I move by late Nov. (very local move). I currently have a 55 gal. with a small school of juv. golden shiners (5) [thanks for the ID help, btw] and a golden topminnow. I would like to add to that tank, plus maybe get a couple small sunnies (Blue-spotted and/or dollar if poss.). I would appreciate any info or pointers anyone may have for dipnetting in this area. As far as I'm aware, locally only require a valid fishing license to net-collect non-game fish. Open also to helping any interested parties locally with their collecting as well. Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:10 PM

See here for some spots.

http://www.nanfa.org...2003/fl0203.htm

I have more specific information that I can dig up if necessary.

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:01 PM

Those shiners will get pretty big (12" plus); they aren't aggressive, but they may stress their tankmates just by rushing around the tank and knocking into the smaller fish. When you get your other tank set up, it would probably be wise to move your topminnow to it.

#4 Guest_irishkc_*

Guest_irishkc_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:07 AM

See here for some spots.

http://www.nanfa.org...2003/fl0203.htm

I have more specific information that I can dig up if necessary.

Awesome! One of the areas I wanted to target. I've been curious what I might find there. Thanks so much for the info. Also, if any of the members plan any excursions down this way, shoot me a message [irishkc@tampabay.rr.com]. i'd be happy to assist however I can and would love to gain any knowledge about the hoby and share whatever I can about local hotspots.

#5 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:09 PM

Just so you know, The 2009 NANFA convention is going to be in Tampa. We hope to see you there. Go to the NANFA homepage and to the regions area and contact your regional rep, Charlie Nunziata. You are in a very active area and you shouldn't have trouble finding someone to take you out and show you around.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users