Elassoma Question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:49 PM

I have been looking at hundreds and hundreds of pictures of elassoma species and it seems that the zonatum is a more out in the open species, but from what I read they would prefer fully planted tanks, which is true? I know the okee's and evergladai's would more than likely prefer the planted, but is there one species that is more likely to be found out in the open more?

Thanks guys,

Nate

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:01 PM

I haven't personally collected them all, but I believe they are all found in planted areas. If your tank is semi-planted it may be okay, but you'll still find them hanging out in the plants more.

#3 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:07 PM

My tank currently has a pond plant ( it is a spikey grass plant) that protrudes from the top of the water) and driftwood along with java moss. It has an airator with an airstone and the smalles fluvial filter in it.
Here is a picture of it

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks Drew for your input thus far :P

-Nate

#4 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:32 AM

Is this tank suitible for these fish? if not I can modify. I did add some water sprite and 6-8 water lettuce.

#5 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:56 AM

Is this tank suitible for these fish? if not I can modify. I did add some water sprite and 6-8 water lettuce.

This will work for pygmies. Just be sure not to add other species, other than maybe Lucania, as the pygmies will be outcompeted for food or otherwise harassed.

#6 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:23 AM

This will work for pygmies. Just be sure not to add other species, other than maybe Lucania, as the pygmies will be outcompeted for food or otherwise harassed.

So no hets? I thought they would make great food. well the babies would.

#7 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:27 AM

So no hets? I thought they would make great food. well the babies would.

Sorry, Hets will work fine. I forgot about those, as will Leptolucania, but that's about it.

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:56 PM

All the E. zonatum I have collected have been in dense vegetation and very shallow water. FWIW.

#9 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:36 AM

All the Elassoma zonatum I have sampled have been in tons of vegetation. In fact, you pull up your dip net, the dip net weighs about 40lbs from vegetation; then you skim through the vegetation on the bank and usually I find a couple Elassoma zonatum stuck in the vegetation. However, the tank looks like it would be fine, they will probably just hang out in the most planted areas, but you can always add some Ceratophylum demersum or other plants if needed.

Blake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users