Pumpkinseed Source?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_az9_*

Guest_az9_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:39 AM

Is there a commercial source for pumpkinseed sunfish? Are there any places in Indiana where one can find a good population? I do some rearing of fish for a couple of niche markets and think it would be fun to plant some broodstock in one of my small rearing ponds, let them do their thing, and start a selective breeding program for larger size and faster growth as I do with some other species.

Getting fish from the wild is scary however. The potential for bringing in VHS comes to mine. I commercial source may test for it.

#2 Guest_jimv8673_*

Guest_jimv8673_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:17 PM

What type of fish are you raising for these (niche) markets. Pumpkinseeds should be easy for you to find, most creeks and ponds in indiana have some.

#3 Guest_az9_*

Guest_az9_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:28 PM

[

What type of fish are you raising for these (niche) markets. Pumpkinseeds should be easy for you to find, most creeks and ponds in indiana have some.

I grow out trophy size brook and brown trout, bluegill, and yellow perch. I sell them all frozen to taxidermists all over the country for competitions, taxidermy schools, and for use in their showrooms. I have also sold large yellow perch to Bass Pro Shops for their aquariums. Here's my website: http://www.ligtel.co.../bairdfish2.htm

I'm aware that most creeks, lakes etc. have them but they seem to be an incidental catch when fishing for other sunfish species such as bluegills. I was wondering if anyone knew of a place in northern Indiana where they are the rule rather than an incidental catch. I did have one lead on a fishing site. The grassy creek access site in North Webster/Pierceton.

I may vacation in New England next summer and they are pretty much a sure thing up there. I used to live there and there are ponds where they are the only sunfish. I am checking on the legality of bringing a few back with me in oxygen bags if I don't meet with a lot of success here.

Edited by az9, 13 October 2008 - 07:29 PM.

#4 Guest_jimv8673_*

Guest_jimv8673_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:07 PM

I grow out trophy size brook and brown trout, bluegill, and yellow perch. I sell them all frozen to taxidermists all over the country for competitions, taxidermy schools, and for use in their showrooms. I have also sold large yellow perch to Bass Pro Shops for their aquariums. Here's my website: http://www.ligtel.co.../bairdfish2.htm

I'm aware that most creeks, lakes etc. have them but they seem to be an incidental catch when fishing for other sunfish species such as bluegills. I was wondering if anyone knew of a place in northern Indiana where they are the rule rather than an incidental catch. I did have one lead on a fishing site. The grassy creek access site in North Webster/Pierceton.

I may vacation in New England next summer and they are pretty much a sure thing up there. I used to live there and there are ponds where they are the only sunfish. I am checking on the legality of bringing a few back with me in oxygen bags if I don't meet with a lot of success here.

Good luck in your quest, nice website, and beautiful fish, I guess i always thought that these mounts, and displays were of fish, taken in the normal way, and not from a source feeding them out specifically for the purpose you've shown me. A fishy mill of sorts...Hmmm

#5 Guest_az9_*

Guest_az9_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:04 PM

Good luck in your quest, nice website, and beautiful fish, I guess i always thought that these mounts, and displays were of fish, taken in the normal way, and not from a source feeding them out specifically for the purpose you've shown me. A fishy mill of sorts...Hmmm

Actually they usually are. I'm probably the only one in the country that specializes in this. Demand is high and I'm still trying to build up to the volume and consistency I need. It's illegal in most cases to sell public waters fish hence the demand.

#6 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:32 AM

Pumpkinseed are found in many backwaters in the northern part of the state. If you're near Fort Wayne, the glacial lakes in that region should be full of Pumpkinseed.

#7 Guest_az9_*

Guest_az9_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:56 AM

Pumpkinseed are found in many backwaters in the northern part of the state. If you're near Fort Wayne, the glacial lakes in that region should be full of Pumpkinseed.

Yes they are present but I wouldn't say the lakes are "full of them." I have a list of quantities vs. other species in those lakes from DNR surveys and they are still a minority compared to the other sunfish.

#8 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:40 PM

How many do you need?

#9 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:51 PM

How many do you need?

Who and where are markets for the pumpkinseeds? Do they expect VHS free animals?

#10 Guest_jimv8673_*

Guest_jimv8673_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:52 PM

Guys, it sounds like this gentleman is taking certain fish (Ones he doesnt already have in ponds) Turning them into FishCicles, and then selling these to whoever wants one. These frozen fish are then made into trophys, etc. Maybe a money making endeavour, I just prefer mine still swimming when i get them home. Everyone has opinions and ill keep mine to myself when it comes to taking large numbers of native fish for this purpose.

#11 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:32 PM

Who and where are markets for the pumpkinseeds? Do they expect VHS free animals?

Please disregard my previous message. What would the value be for 2+ pound bluegill, 3+ pound?

#12 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:32 PM

Guys, it sounds like this gentleman is taking certain fish (Ones he doesnt already have in ponds) Turning them into FishCicles, and then selling these to whoever wants one. These frozen fish are then made into trophys, etc. Maybe a money making endeavour, I just prefer mine still swimming when i get them home. Everyone has opinions and ill keep mine to myself when it comes to taking large numbers of native fish for this purpose.

Around here most man made ponds and small park ponds are crawling with Pumpkinseed Sunfish. Removing a large number would probably be a good thing unfortunately NY has that VHS issue.

#13 Guest_jimv8673_*

Guest_jimv8673_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:44 PM

Around here most man made ponds and small park ponds are crawling with Pumpkinseed Sunfish. Removing a large number would probably be a good thing unfortunately NY has that VHS issue.

Yeah i suppose that culling in nature has its place, such as to keep the biggest, nicest, etc. and if animals like deer are causing a problem for farmers etc. Or sportsmen who take animals for the meat and memorilize the trophy, is fine But to just helter skelter gather up a bunch of native fish freeze em and sell them to someone who just wants somthing to nail on a wall is somthing i want nothing to do with (My opinions in no way are influenced by the management of this site, nor do they reflect the views of the membership in general, and should not be taken as such)

#14 Guest_az9_*

Guest_az9_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:10 PM

How many do you need?

I would only need about five pair of males and females and would catch them via hook and line with a fishing license. Everything on the up and up. I also have a fish haulers and suppliers permit.

#15 Guest_az9_*

Guest_az9_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:17 PM

Who said anything about taking large numbers of native fish for this purpose? Like I said in a previous post it would only take a handful of broodfish to start reproduction. One female pumpkinseed I believe produces at least 40,000 eggs.

All of my other fish have come, and some still do come from private sources that I don't reproduce myself. It's just that pumpkinseeds aren't typically available from a private source as there is no demand for them.

You do realize that fish from private sources originally came from a wild source right?

Edited by az9, 14 October 2008 - 08:22 PM.

#16 Guest_az9_*

Guest_az9_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:20 PM

The source would have to be within Indiana or outside of the Great lakes states as it is illegal to move any VHS susceptable species interstate within any of the Great Lakes states witout health testing for VHS. Regardless of where they come from I would quarantine the fish and sacrifice a few for testing before planting them into one of my production ponds. I have an indoor RAS for this use.

Edited by az9, 14 October 2008 - 08:21 PM.

#17 Guest_az9_*

Guest_az9_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:33 PM

What would the value be for 2+ pound bluegill, 3+ pound?

It would depend on whether it was a pure bluegill or hybrid bluegill. A hybrid would not be any big deal to my customers and wouldn't get much. A pure strain over 2 lbs. could easily get a couple hundred dollars maybe three hundred. 3 lb. plus would be more depending how how big it actually was. I tried being a middle man before and won't do it again due to lack of control over the process.

I believe Bass Pro Shops paid $10,000 once for a really large largemouth?

With my frozen market there is much more than just freezing up the fish. I have special freezing procedures to preserve the colors and special shipping requirements. I also have a direct line to particular customers. I have a ton of permits and correspondence from most of the 50 states to show that I can legally ship gamefish to different states. It's not legal in all states and some states require expensive permits. Texas requires a permit for me AND the customer for "protected finfish" which are nothing more than bass, crappie etc. This was signed into law by George Bush when he was governor and amounts to nothing more than trade protectionism.

#18 Guest_az9_*

Guest_az9_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:40 PM

Yeah i suppose that culling in nature has its place, such as to keep the biggest, nicest, etc. and if animals like deer are causing a problem for farmers etc. Or sportsmen who take animals for the meat and memorilize the trophy, is fine But to just helter skelter gather up a bunch of native fish freeze em and sell them to someone who just wants somthing to nail on a wall is somthing i want nothing to do with (My opinions in no way are influenced by the management of this site, nor do they reflect the views of the membership in general, and should not be taken as such)

We are talking five pair of male and female fish to use as broodstock. Not a "bunch." And they would not be sold as that would be illegal if taken out of public waters. However in most states (at least in Indiana) it is legal to use them as broodstock as long as one has a permit, such as in this case, a fishing license and stays within legal limits etc. I don't believe there is a bag limit on pumpkinseeds though.

BTW I'd be happy to take the brood fish back to where I got them but that would be illegal!

Edited by az9, 14 October 2008 - 08:43 PM.

#19 Guest_jimv8673_*

Guest_jimv8673_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:54 PM

I have no doubt youll find what youre looking for in todays world, ALMOST, everything has a price. Good luck in your ventures

#20 Guest_az9_*

Guest_az9_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:03 PM

I have no doubt youll find what youre looking for in todays world, ALMOST, everything has a price. Good luck in your ventures

Thank you for your warm welcome to the site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users