Shortnose Gar With A Bent Back

1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:11 PM

My shortnose gar was fine this Friday but Saturday had a distinct kink just about halfway between anal and pelvic fins. The fish did happen to eat more than usual on Friday (I accidentally spilled dried food). I assumed broken back since the sunfish are spawning again and the activity is non stop. I notice today all of the fins behind the kink (anal, dorsal and caudal) work fine but the fish favors pectoral and pelvic fins.

Any ideas on what this is or how to remedy the situation?

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:48 PM

My shortnose gar was fine this Friday but Saturday had a distinct kink just about halfway between anal and pelvic fins. The fish did happen to eat more than usual on Friday (I accidentally spilled dried food). I assumed broken back since the sunfish are spawning again and the activity is non stop. I notice today all of the fins behind the kink (anal, dorsal and caudal) work fine but the fish favors pectoral and pelvic fins.

Any ideas on what this is or how to remedy the situation?

Well if the fish spooked and hit the glass hard enough then it likely broke it's back. If the back fins are still working though it might pull through OK. Not much you can do about it except sit and wait for it to heal or if the condition worsens put the fish down (Which would be unfortunate with this particular fish..He already got saved from certain death once)

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users