How do you guys decontaminate freshly collected fish??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

Guest_troutperch beeman_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2006 - 03:05 PM

Hi all new to the forum but am really enjoying all the info. I'm gaining. Just wondering what everyone else does to decontaminate thier fish after they collect them? I alway quarutine my new fish but just want to know if I should treat them with anything. Thanks
Herschel

#2 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2006 - 03:13 PM

I would say whether and how to "decontaminate" a fish would depend on whether it is "contaminated" and what it is "contaminated" with. I see no reason to subject a fish to the stress of medicine if it is not needed. Just add salt (kosher salt, with no iodine or anti-caking agents, just pure sodium chloride) at a tablespoon per five gallons, into the collection water when bringing them home and into the aquarium. I learned that from Skipjack, and it seems to work well.

#3 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

• Guests

Posted 18 November 2006 - 03:21 PM

I also put salt in the water and a little stress coat seem to work good. No more lost tails. In the past I have caught some fish with anchor worm, I have also witnessed some flashing and rubbing of the gill plate (itching). I have some potasium pertagamate(spelled wrong i'm sure) but the last time I used it I wiped out a whole tank of cichlids. Now I'm scared :? .

#4 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2006 - 05:56 PM

What, may I ask, is the purpose of the potassium permanganate?

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:30 PM

It has been used for years as a disinfectant and an antiparasitic dip.

#6 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:45 PM

I see. What kind of parasites is this effective against?

Apparently one must be careful of the concentration, lest he should accidently wipe out a tank full of cichlids. I know there are people here who would find that to be funny, but let's just assume they were North American cichlids, like maybe Texas cichlids :wink:

#7 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

• Guests

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:55 PM

I didn't think it was funny a pair of C. brichardi and a pair of J. transcriptus later I read that africains and PP do not mix well. Anyway back to the subject what do other people use? I don't want my 150gl native tank infected with something that pops up after a month or so of quarentine,like the other thread I read earlier.

#8 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:40 PM

I'm not saying I think it's funny, either. It's a real shame. What kind of J. Transcriptus did you have? I'd like to get some "gombi" myself.

As far as your original subject is concerned, if you are quarantining for a month, I don't know what else you can do. That seems more than adequate. You can't eliminate all risks, not in the real world. You could quaratine for a year, and something could still happen. You could hit them with all the medicine in the world, and something could still happen. But it sounds to me like what you are doing is quite reasonable. If any of the more experienced people here want to refute that, I'll bow to their wisdom, but you seem to me to be on the right path.

#9 Guest_eLeMeNt_*

Guest_eLeMeNt_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:34 AM

Just add salt (kosher salt, with no iodine or anti-caking agents, just pure sodium chloride) at a tablespoon per five gallons, into the collection water when bringing them home and into the aquarium.

I just recently learned this from a local pet store. I know it is supposed to be good for the fish, but what precisely does it do? Kill off parasites and diseases?

#10 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2006 - 04:33 PM

Just add salt (kosher salt, with no iodine or anti-caking agents, just pure sodium chloride) at a tablespoon per five gallons, into the collection water when bringing them home and into the aquarium.

I just recently learned this from a local pet store. I know it is supposed to be good for the fish, but what precisely does it do? Kill off parasites and diseases?

This sets up an osmotic shock that's often fatal to small parasites but not to the fish. The fish is larger and has osmoregulatory capabilities such as kidneys. Parasites and disease agents are typically too small to be able to handle the sudden immersion into salt water and die from the stress. It's kinda like you're playing chicken with the fish and parasites, the parasites usually lose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users