mystery minnow

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:34 AM

N. rubellus do not always show coloration, in fact most of the year they have little to none of the rosey pigment. I think the first picture is also of the fish at a slight angle and not completely perpendicular to the camera which makes lining up fin placement and snout length difficult. That said, I don't think it's N. antheroides. The possibility of N. photogenis was exactly why I asked about the crescents between the nostrils. From the best I can tell there aren't the monsterous dorsal scales that you see in N. telescopus in the dead specimens.

Uland, that is the deepest bodied emerald I've ever seen!

#22 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:54 AM

What about N. photogenis that or N. rubellus or what ever they are in that area are the two I first thought of. I think you may be right Uland that those may be two different species, the original one a rubellus and the latter maybe photogenis?

The eye on the second fish is far too large for N. photogenis IMO but very possible on the first fish (it's large right?). I might be misunderstanding your post Brian.

I have N. photogenis photoed below with cm grid.
Posted Image

N. rubellus do not always show coloration, in fact most of the year they have little to none of the rosey pigment. I think the first picture is also of the fish at a slight angle and not completely perpendicular to the camera which makes lining up fin placement and snout length difficult. That said, I don't think it's N. antheroides. The possibility of N. photogenis was exactly why I asked about the crescents between the nostrils. From the best I can tell there aren't the monsterous dorsal scales that you see in N. telescopus in the dead specimens.

Uland, that is the deepest bodied rubellus I've ever seen!

Matt, you're right about dorsal scales.....I'm not sure what to say about the second fish to be honest.
I'm not sure what you mean about the deep bodied rubellus but the deep bodied fish I posted above is honking antheroides.

I have a couple rubellus pics below from Illinois. First being a female and the second a male.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:05 PM

You're right, I ment emerald, not roseyface. Either way, that first one pictured below is far deeper bodied than anything I've seen. Probably because I've never seen them early in the year when the ladies would be plump. Every individual I've encountered has been elongate.

#24 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:18 PM

Well, I went to the stream and collected a few more of these. I tried to move fast and keep them contained for as short of time as possible. I had one die already last night. The other seems to be doing ok but I'm not sure. I didn't have time to get a good photo.

John, what area of the tank does yours swim at? The one I have seems to swim mid to upper tank. All the ones that have died were swimming right on the surface. Also, no orangethroats. I had a bucket full of rainbows and double and triple checked them to make sure they were not orangethroats. My wife went with me and she couldn't believe how beautiful rainbows are in the wild, she wanted to keep all the ones I caught.

On another note, I caught another Brook Silverside from this stream. I hope this doesn't jinx it but it's been living in captive for over 24 hours now and it just scarfed down some freeze dried bloodworms and brine shrimp...I know it's a long shot but I figured that once it had been netted and handled, it's chances of living are probably similar whether it's in a pool of water, or my tank.....keep your fingers crossed.

#25 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:53 AM

Mine stay mid to upper tank. The pair I brought back are still very healthy, and they're real pigs when the food hits the water. Come to think of it, I didn't lose any fish that day. Those other minnows are doing quite well, too, as is the tiny little sunny. My youngest daughter thinks it's soooo cute.

Brook silversides? I don't recall seeing any when we were down there that day. I may have to get back down there, that's a lot closer than the gorge, so less transport time.

#26 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2008 - 12:23 PM

Mine stay mid to upper tank. The pair I brought back are still very healthy, and they're real pigs when the food hits the water. Come to think of it, I didn't lose any fish that day. Those other minnows are doing quite well, too, as is the tiny little sunny. My youngest daughter thinks it's soooo cute.

Brook silversides? I don't recall seeing any when we were down there that day. I may have to get back down there, that's a lot closer than the gorge, so less transport time.

I netted a couple sunnys the other day, and my wife wanted me to keep them, but I passed. That's the second time I've caught a Brook silverside from that stream. It's 1:20pm now and it's still going.

I was thinking about those orangethroats. From most the info I've seen in this area, orangethroats seem to stay in the upper headwater portions of these streams. However, with water conditions the way they are in the state, I think a few of them have been slowly moving downstream to find more water. Maybe next spring we'll go closer to the headwater of muddy creek. There are side roads off the one we were on that would take us closer to the headwaters.

#27 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:09 PM

I netted a couple sunnys the other day, and my wife wanted me to keep them, but I passed. That's the second time I've caught a Brook silverside from that stream. It's 1:20pm now and it's still going.

I was thinking about those orangethroats. From most the info I've seen in this area, orangethroats seem to stay in the upper headwater portions of these streams. However, with water conditions the way they are in the state, I think a few of them have been slowly moving downstream to find more water. Maybe next spring we'll go closer to the headwater of muddy creek. There are side roads off the one we were on that would take us closer to the headwaters.

Sounds like a plan. You know, if your wife likes these, you might suggest that a larger tank would hold more... probably want to go to more powerful filtration as well...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users