Transporting

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:53 AM

Has anyone ever used Finquel to calm fish while in transport? If yes, what were your results?

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:19 AM

The short answer is that it works. I've received different groups of fish this week from different sources and the bags were all treated with Finquel. All of the fish arrived in excellent condition, variously small sunfish or shiners.

#3 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:11 PM

I've been considering getting some of this before next spring. I have a couple trips planned that could be hours away. I tend to loose more shiners than anything else. As a matter of fact, I've never had a darter die due to stress or illness. It seems like the longer time period you take between netting and introduction to new tank the more stressed they get and more prone to illness. I thought that Finquel may help this.

#4 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:27 PM

This is what I use when shipping: http://www.junglelab....asp?item=JT703

Collecting shiners in the summer just sucks. You have to be extra careful when doing so. Other times of the year, salt the collection water heavily (except catfishes). Don't overpopulate your collection container. Get a portable airstone and use asap.

On long trips, I mix collection water with prepared water and bag fish in breather bags, cover, and place in a cooler. This has reduced casualties a lot but you will still loose a stubborn few.

#5 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:42 AM

I use Bag Buddies to ship my fish, too. Have had good success. I used to use a granulated fish calmer, but had trouble with puting too much or not enough calmer in each bag. Bag Buddies are very convenient and they work well.

#6 Guest_diburning_*

Guest_diburning_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:17 PM

There are 2 versions of bag buddies. The light blue version, and the blue-grey version. The light blue version is no longer in production. The newer version DOES NOT have a fish calmer. It's simply like adding Prime to the water. It detoxifies/eliminates ammonia, nitrates, nitrite, and adds oxygen. The old Bag Buddies has the calmer. The fish calmer's active ingredient is clove oil. Before you go putting clove oil into your fish water and killing your fish, the amount of clove oil in bag buddies is very small and dilute.

The old bag buddies has been rebranded as Jungle ShipSafe.

#7 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:45 PM

Topic cleaned up to get back on track... let's try to stay on topic here folks...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users