Will it eat my fish?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_alejandro_*

Guest_alejandro_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:54 AM

I was out collecting in (~middle) Georgia this weekend and brought back a pretty big water bug of some sort because I thought it looked neat and wanted to add it to my planted 55-gallon tank. Now I'm concerned because when I was trying to ID it online I noticed not only that I couldn't, but that everything that it kind of looks like eats fish.

Here are some pictures that I took of it:
Attached File  Mystery_Bug__1_.jpg   24.27KB   2 downloads
Attached File  Mystery_Bug__2_.jpg   59.92KB   0 downloads
Attached File  Mystery_Bug__3_.jpg   40.64KB   0 downloads
Attached File  Mystery_Bug__4_.jpg   54.76KB   0 downloads

It doesn't really move, and when it does it crawls very slowly and rather awkwardly. It spends all its time at the bottom of the cooler, underneath a wad of plants. I haven't seen it surface for air and it resists leaving the water.

Can anyone tell me what this is? Based on it's size will it eat my fish (right now I have a few shiners, chubs, darters and a madtom - all of them at least 2-4" in size)? Do you have any suggestions for keeping it happy?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Alejandro

Edited by alejandro, 27 October 2008 - 01:16 AM.

#2 Guest_magnummissle_*

Guest_magnummissle_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:01 AM

well before anyone else gets to you, you really shouldn't keep things you dont know how to take care of or cant identify , and the way your bug looks, it most likely eats fish

#3 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:45 AM

I can't get to to species, genus, or family, but you do have an Odonate. Odonata order includes dragonflies and damselflies. These nymphs can live around 2 years and they are just like the adults - predators. Most dragonfly larva are hunters, but they eat other inverts/larva, some worms and crustaceans. They will not eat your fish - though I would imagine if you had a wriggling fry on the bottom they ould eat it. I I have had one live for about 4 months in a tank. It was actually suppose to be food for my sunfish, but one escaped and I didnt see it again until I rescaped my tank. So, I don't know what he was living off of. Hopefully someone else can give you the family of your critter, and give you some tips on keeping it alive.

#4 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:58 AM

That big fella is a larval dragonfly of the genus Macromia, AKA belted river skimmers. I believe Macromia are less likely to eat fish than, say, darners such as Aeshna and Anax, but it is still a potential threat. Some of your fish may harm the dragonfly, pulling at its legs and generally harrassing it.

#5 Guest_alejandro_*

Guest_alejandro_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:41 PM

I had always thought that (all) dragonfly larvae were long and slender with big extendable jaws so it never would have occurred to me that this was a future dragonfly. I think I'll go ahead and set up a separate tank both for its and the fishes' sakes. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users