golden shiners

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MINNOW_*

Guest_MINNOW_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:35 PM

Ok im trying to locate where to find golden shiners ,what to use in the traps just to learn so i can catch them any one no where i could get them. im located in oxford,ma thanks chad.

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:39 AM

Minnows are visually oriented; a trap baited with bits of bread or even white styrofoam is more likely to be productive than one baited with a smelly bait. Golden shiners like quiet water with some vegetation.

#3 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:55 PM

Golden shiners are very abundant in your area and they are perfect canidates for a standard minnow trap baited witrh bread. Small weedy ponds are good. A tiny little pond such as a farm pond or fire pond are often over run with goldens.
Also, check your local bait store. Goldens are the standard bait minnow in Ma.

#4 Guest_robbor_*

Guest_robbor_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:45 AM

No golden shiners in my area but it is said that they will bite a worm baited hook. I also see them caught with casting nets. You may talk to some local fishermen or tackle shop.

#5 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2008 - 07:55 AM

No golden shiners in my area but it is said that they will bite a worm baited hook. I also see them caught with casting nets. You may talk to some local fishermen or tackle shop.

we have better luck on shiners with a wax worm for fishing that is they are white as NEWT said they are visually oriented.

#6 Guest_sunnyman97_*

Guest_sunnyman97_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:46 PM

are golden shiners abundant in New Jersey?

Edited by sunnyman97, 03 December 2008 - 03:47 PM.

#7 Guest_MINNOW_*

Guest_MINNOW_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2008 - 06:59 PM

thanks guys i trapped some but they where small looking for areas to net or jig.thank you

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users