New Dipnet

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:35 AM

Well, I have a new dipnet, and I'm pretty excited about it.

I just started this hobby in early summer. At the time I didn't have a net and my father-in-law had an old one in his basement and offered it to me. So, since it was free....I took it. I soon learned the drawback to this one. 1. The mesh was too big and I lose lots of fish, and 2. It is round and funnels down to the bottom, therefore, rocks and stuff fall on the fish and stuff. Well, it did ok through the summer, but it's dry rotting and time for a new net.

Thanks to John, he introduced me to a great net end. It's actually a pool net but it is a great shape and the mesh is perfect. So, I needed a pole to put on it. I traveled with my 6ft long one this year and it's hard to travel in a small car with a long pole (my wife car get much better mileage than my truck.) While walking through walmart last week I came upon this squeegee that extends. I removed the squeegee from the pole and test fitted it in Walmart to the net, perfect, so I bought the pole. John had told me the nets were on sale at another walmart 8 bucks instead of 13. I went to that walmart on Saturday and found the nets to be on clearance for 4.50! I bought 3 of them. Anyways, after a bit of drilling, bolting, etc... I have this.

NET

Posted Image

Pole/Squeegee

Posted Image

Together Collasped

Posted Image

Together Extended

Posted Image

You can adjust it to any size, it will lock into place at any length. It has two seperate parts that extend and retract. Also, it's made of Aluminum, so it's study and lightweight. It goes from about 3 feet to 7 feet. I'm going to use it for the first time today, and I'm pumped.

#2 Guest_jimv8673_*

Guest_jimv8673_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:43 AM

YUP!!! Like it :biggrin: . I use one very similar, but without the extra extension. Mine only goes out to about 5 feet. Appears you could really reach out there, Dip from the bank instead of getting your feet wet, Maybe also better for kick netting. Keep us posted on how it works for you, New ideas are always appreciated.

#3 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:15 AM

I've wore out my cement pond leave dippin net. I'm headed to walmart for those $4.50 clearance nets!
Nets wear out and its good you got 3. I like the deep bag.

#4 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:44 PM

I'm really excited that the pole collapses down. It's difficult to fit a 6ft pole in a Corolla to travel several hours....not to mention the smell afterwards :blink:

Oddly enough, the nets were not on sale at bunch of other Walmarts I've been in. Walmart is funny that way, something will be on sale at one store, but not another.

Edited by jblaylock, 03 November 2008 - 12:45 PM.

#5 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:10 PM

Yep, I grabbed two more myself, all that were on the rack at the time. Sprang for the slightly pricey long pole that walmart also sells, goes from 5 foot extension to 10 foot, which does come in handy, but I have a second one on a short pole that isn't quite so cumbersome.

I find these nets last for three, maybe four all day collecting sessions. The edge is heavy plastic so it doesn't get mucked up when dragged over rocks. What kills them is lifting the net up with a lot of rocks in them. Eventually, the net starts to pull away from the edge.

However, you can always find these at pretty much any walmart, and as a lot of them are open 24 hrs, you can always get one.

#6 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:18 PM

Well, spring is nearly here in KY. I need a new dipnet...here's an update on this net.

The net bag lasts me between 5-10 trips, depending on location and how gentle I am on it.

The pole was working out really good until a trip to a very high and fast moving Powell River. Instead of being smart and not extending the sections all the way out, but leave a few inches inside the preceeding extension, I extended it all the way out and the current ripped off the biggest extension with the handle. I have still been using the pole, but I'm missing one extension and handle.

I was looking at the perfect dipnet. I like the bag and I really need a handle that is collaspible for travel. But, the cost is high for a 3 piece handle that will collaspe. Does the Cummins net collaspe?

#7 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:29 PM

I don't believe any of the Cummings nets collapse.

Both are sturdy nets but I've yet to break a Perfect dipnet. There are a couple extensive conversations in previous threads that would be worth reading if you haven't already. If being collapsible is that important, the Perfect dipnet is well worth it.

#8 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:00 AM

I don't believe any of the Cummings nets collapse.

Both are sturdy nets but I've yet to break a Perfect dipnet. There are a couple extensive conversations in previous threads that would be worth reading if you haven't already. If being collapsible is that important, the Perfect dipnet is well worth it.

I have to second this opinion. I finally broke down and purchased a Perfect Dipnet. Although pricey, they seem to be well worth the extra cost; sturdy and light with a collapsible handle. I bought the large head, along with the small head for travel. I believe what I bought was the 3/16 net size. This produces less drag in fast riffles than smaller mesh , and you can scoop quickly. They will give you just about any custom handle length.
-Thom

#9 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:38 PM

Proffesional dip net. Fiberglass handle monorail net. Jonahs replacement bags fit this net, I have bought them and they fit. This dip net will be the last one you will ever buy. Net runs inside frame so it does not scrape bottom. Had mine for years now. I keep sewing the bag till it gets to bad then I buy a replacement. I got tired of breaking aluminum handle nets. Maybe Johnas is a good one but I bought this one before I saw his.

http://www.aquaticec...Handles/nets/12

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users