More Local Fish Store Finds

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:57 PM

I just got back from Jack's Aquarium. It would be safe to say that the typical Rosy Red Feeder tank contains about 200 to 300 individuals. Today in their feeder tank, it was populated with at least 50% Western Mosquitofish (Gambusia Affinis), meaning there were between 100 and 150 Mosquitofish in their tank! I was astonished. I also found one Bluefin Killi in a plant tank, and two Florida Flagfish in another plant tank.
-Thom

#2 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:05 PM

Last week I found a swamp darter at the local petstore. Today, I went in for some Brine Shrimp and thought that I'd check the tank again. In the Ghost Shrimp tank I found

1 swamp darter
1 unknown sunfish....but no doubt it was a sunny
and about 5 unknown minnows.

So, see if anyone can tackle the minnows.... They appeared to be similar to the bluntnose minnow in shape and color. They had the tan body with black stripe, however, they did not have a bluntnose one them. Also, one of the fish had a red bar around the rear of it's tail just before the fin. I believe they told me their ghost shrimp come from Ohio or Indiana. Any thoughts on what the minnow could be?

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:58 PM

Sounds like a bluefin killifish, which I see regularly in my LFS's ghost shrimp. If it is a bluefin, then those shrimp are probably from Florida.

#4 Guest_Runan_*

Guest_Runan_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:44 PM

I went to a LFS that sells live bait (golden shiners, I assume) last night and asked if they ever got any darters or killifish in with the shipments. The guy working there looked at me like I had two heads. :eek:

#5 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:04 PM

Heh. You just gotta look. A lot of baitfish are bred in the upper midwest, so you can find hitchhikers like mudminnows and sticklebacks.

#6 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2008 - 04:37 PM

This particular petstore has two locations in Lexington KY....I like them better than Petsmart. Anyways, I went to the other location on my way home today and they had one Swamp Darter and several of the Bluefins (after a better look, that's what they are for sure), so I picked up two of the males for my tank for a grand total of 25 cents.

How will these adapt/play with my other minnows/darters?

#7 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2008 - 04:57 PM

They are inoffensive little fellows, but are bold enough to hold their own with aggressive feeders such as most minnows. So long as you are keeping them with relatively small species (say, 3" or under) they should be fine. I have a half-dozen in a heavily-planted tank with sirens, ghost shrimp, and a juvenile map turtle. I have also kept them with pygmy sunfish.

Edited by Newt, 07 November 2008 - 04:58 PM.

#8 Guest_Sombunya_*

Guest_Sombunya_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:01 PM

I went to a LFS that sells live bait (golden shiners, I assume) last night and asked if they ever got any darters or killifish in with the shipments. The guy working there looked at me like I had two heads.

One of the LFS near my house occasionally come up with a small Bluegill or two in their feeder shipments.

#9 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:16 PM

I was in my LFS on Friday and found a small Swamp Darter with the Ghost Shrimp. Also, there were two fish of the same species that I didn't know what they were. There were about 2 inches long, had a flat head, and vertical stripes on the side. They were odd looking.

#10 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:43 PM

Could be a Fundulus species, or a flagfish (Jordanella floridae). I've found a few of each in my LFS's shrimp tanks.

Edited by Newt, 22 February 2009 - 03:44 PM.

#11 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:43 PM

I was in my LFS on Friday and found a small Swamp Darter with the Ghost Shrimp. Also, there were two fish of the same species that I didn't know what they were. There were about 2 inches long, had a flat head, and vertical stripes on the side. They were odd looking.

If I had to guess, Seminole Killifish Fundulus seminolis, because I frequently find these in the LFS.
-Thom

#12 Guest_Danyal_*

Guest_Danyal_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:31 AM

i work at the local petco, i've found dozens of green sunfish in our feeder tanks, a couple of sacramento suckers, 3 darters, and a bluefin killie, and of course hundreds of gambusia. i've seen swamp darters and dace in another LFS ghost shrimp tanks.

#13 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:59 AM

If I had to guess, Seminole Killifish Fundulus seminolis, because I frequently find these in the LFS.
-Thom

After looking that one up, I do believe that's what it is.

#14 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:18 PM

Oh man, I did some damage at the LFS today. I had to get some more bloodworms and I scoped out the shrimp tanks.... I left the store with 4 more bluefin killies, 4 swamp darters, and 1 more seminole killifish. I spent $1.20 on them. There were about 3-4 tiny crays and Gambusia in there, but I left them.

#15 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:15 PM

I went to a petstore on the far side of town that I almost never go to. They apparently get their shrimp from a different supplier than my usual stop does, as they had two wild-type mollies and some river shrimp as hitchhikers among the ghost shrimp! I bought the mollies and two of the shrimp; one shrimp has died already but everyone else seems to be in good shape. I haven't keyed out the shrimp yet.

I also got some odd livebearers from the shrimp tank at a pet store in Nashville. They are a bit more robust than guppies, but don't look like platies or mollies. They are tan with black specks and have yellow or orange at the bases of the dorsal and caudal fins. I'll try to get some pictures.

#16 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:17 PM

I saw a fullgrown male bluefin at my lfs today but I left it there.

#17 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:05 PM

man i keep going to petsmart hoping to see bluefins or some other fish in the rosy red tank but i never see anything :(

#18 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:14 PM

man i keep going to petsmart hoping to see bluefins or some other fish in the rosy red tank but i never see anything :(

Petsmart USUALLY never has any hitchhikers. Smaller petstores that stock ghost shrimp will usually have something. I think corporate Petsmart tries to keep natives from coming in, with good reason. However 2 weeks ago I scored a nice Seminole Killie at a Petsmart. The worker was really surprised that I knew what it was. She said that they will only get 2-3 fish in with the ghost shrimp a year. The other local pet store in the area usually always has swamp darters or bluefins.

#19 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:32 PM

My best source for bluefin killies and swamp darters hasn't even had ghost shrimp the last few weeks. Last weekend they didn't even have guppies.

#20 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:40 PM

I believe a lot of the feeder shrimp and guppy producers in Florida were set back by the recent cold snap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users