Distribution of Amphidromous Gobies

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ouassous_*

Guest_Ouassous_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:02 PM

I know Awaous banana makes it as far north as Florida and the Texan Rio Grande in Hidalgo and Cameron County. Does anyone have any experience with these fish?

What about Sicydium? I know S. plumieri occurs in Cuba, and records of otherwise mostly Caribbean river shrimp (Macrobrachium heterochirus and Potimirim potimirim) in Florida make me wonder whether it makes it to the U.S. If so, it seems to me that extreme southern Florida would be the place to look.

#2 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:47 AM

I know Awaous banana makes it as far north as Florida and the Texan Rio Grande in Hidalgo and Cameron County. Does anyone have any experience with these fish?

What about Sicydium? I know S. plumieri occurs in Cuba, and records of otherwise mostly Caribbean river shrimp (Macrobrachium heterochirus and Potimirim potimirim) in Florida make me wonder whether it makes it to the U.S. If so, it seems to me that extreme southern Florida would be the place to look.

There are no records of Sicydium in Florida, but that does not mean it hasn't occurred there. They would be hard to find though as good habitat is hard to find, most flowing rivers and creeks on the SE coast of FL have been turned into canals. There were once rapids in the Miami River, which probably would have been good habitat, unfortunately those got blasted away in the early 1900s. Your best bet would be below canal spillways or wherever there is some current and some rocks present.

I have seen Awaous banana in Florida and have a secret spot for them. I have not kept any, but I do have an Awaous guamensis. It took a while to get it to feed at first, but now it does very well on frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. I do not add any extra current then what the filter provides. I have alot of open sand in that tank, which it sometimes likes to bury itself in. Overall, not a very demanding fish. I also keep Stenogobius hawaiiensis, which is another freshwater goby -- a very easy fish too.

Marcus

#3 Guest_Ouassous_*

Guest_Ouassous_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:59 PM

Thanks for your response.

I've been reading John Lyons' Distribution of Sicydium in Mexico and Central America (Hidrobiologica 2005, 15 (2 Especial): 239-243); he contends that this genus reaches its northernmost extent on the Atlantic slope at Tuxpan, Mexico (21° N, 97° W) and is limited elsewhere by absence of coastal mountains.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users