Rainbow Shiner Photo

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2008 - 04:45 PM

Here's another Stan Sung photo from the recent Alabama trip, this time of a male rainbow shiner (Notropis chrosomus). The fish below was collected and photographed on October 24. Even out of breeding season the males are strikingly colored.
notropis_chrosomus_18__2_.jpg

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

Nice picture. Mine just went out of color so I'll be waiting til spring I guess.

#3 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:57 PM

Again, very nice photo. Great colors - it's just a shame shiners lose scales so easily..

#4 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:46 AM

For me dominant male rainbow shiner of this morph[?] seems to keep this color most of the time after reaching maturity :smile2: The "burning" color which body turns violet/pink with silver stripe is only at orgy spawning though :twisted: IIRC not all populations/groups of male rainbow shiner has this much blue glitter though?

Edited by tricolor, 12 November 2008 - 05:51 AM.

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:06 AM

Yeah, there is population variation within the species. The northern populations tend to be more intensely colored. As an aside, anyone who ever collected this species in front of the WalMart in Fort Payne, AL, will have to find another source. The city of Fort Payne has pretty much destroyed that stream through a channelization project (of course!).

#6 Guest_AndrewAcropora_*

Guest_AndrewAcropora_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:15 AM

Yeah, there is population variation within the species. The northern populations tend to be more intensely colored. As an aside, anyone who ever collected this species in front of the WalMart in Fort Payne, AL, will have to find another source. The city of Fort Payne has pretty much destroyed that stream through a channelization project (of course!).

Yay for hometown development. Who cares about a fish when you can have more restaurants, roads, and shopping?!

What a beautiful fish. Thanks for sharing!

#7 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2008 - 02:01 PM

What a beautiful fish. I can't wait till mine grown up

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:03 AM

Yeah, there is population variation within the species. The northern populations tend to be more intensely colored.

The LSC population is not as colorful as the one in your photo.

#9 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:29 AM

What is LSC?

#10 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:18 AM

It's an undisclosed location in central Alabama - those who go, know.

#11 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:08 AM

The ones even further south, at the end of their range, are mostly blue with little red, at least in the specimens I've seen from SLVC:
Posted Image
Here's an out of season one from LSC:
Posted Image

Stan Sung, eh? Does this mean we should expect to see an article on Rainbows in TFH soon?

Edited by Mysteryman, 16 November 2008 - 11:16 AM.

#12 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:27 AM

Stan Sung, eh? Does this mean we should expect to see an article on Rainbows in TFH soon?

In part, yes, as part of an Alabama article.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users