Anyone know their Eleotrids?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:01 PM

Looks like Eleotris smaragdus but I have never encountered this species before. It was caught in Port Fourchon, Louisiana under some lights at night. Its was floating just under the surface riding the falling tide. The salinity was about 30ppt. Here are a few quick pics, will do some better ones when I get some time.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   212.48KB   82 downloads
  • Attached File  6.jpg   133.27KB   82 downloads
  • Attached File  5.jpg   179.5KB   82 downloads
  • Attached File  4.jpg   210.86KB   82 downloads
  • Attached File  3.jpg   215.38KB   82 downloads
  • Attached File  2.jpg   225.06KB   82 downloads

#2 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:08 PM

Well I guess no one has seen this fish before. I am 99% sure it is Eleotris smaragdus based on the fin rays comming off the caudal peduncle.

#3 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2006 - 01:36 PM

I have never seen this fish before that I am aware of. I was hoping some of our professionals might take a gander but it doesn't look like it is going to happen for a while. I will forward it to Fritz Rohde. He works a lot with these guys and may know for sure if that is what it is. The conditions you caught this guy in seem very odd for a sleeper. Was it injured?

#4 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2006 - 01:49 PM

I don't think he was hurt. I think he may have been waitng to ambush something based on his posture. He is still alive and looking good. I though it was odd to see him at the surface, but I also observed a searobin gliding on its winglike pectoral fins on the surface that night. Who knows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users