Worried about my Cyprinella pyrrhomelas!

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_scott361_*

Guest_scott361_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:15 PM

After lusting for these guys for years, I bought 40 from Sachs Systems Aquaculture this summer.
I didn't want them eaten by the larger fish in my inside paludarium, so they went into a 500 gal stock tank to grow out.
I also added four Blue Spotted Sunfish (Enneacanthus gloriosus)!
Although I rarely see the sunnies. they seem to all be there.

My point is, and I do have one, what is the minimal temps that these Cyprinella can take??
I had planned on moving them inside before the temps got too low, but good intentions and all that...
I know that I saw them three days ago, but now I can't find them and I did see one of the sunnies last night.
So, I know that they're still doing ok.
I can't find my Fieryblack Shiners and am really worried that they might not have survived the last few days.
The air temps haven't dropped much below 40F for the last week and were much lower last month.

I was going to move them, regardless, before it started freezing.
But now I'm not sure that they're even still alive.

While I'm at it...
Could someone advise on the minimal temps for the sunnies, as well.

Thanks in advance!
Scott

#2 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:14 PM

This fish lives in cool water streams in the upper Piedmont of SC and NC which does get quite chilly. Perhaps Dustin or others can chime in, but I think the temps you mentioned are within their tolerance.

Fritz

Edited by fritz, 21 November 2008 - 10:17 PM.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:43 PM

I feel silly responding after such an illustrious expert as fritz, but take a look at this other thread...

http://forum.nanfa.o...wtopic=6469&hl=

I agree that the fish are probably OK... but if you still want to bring some inside, I would recommend that you look at the bottom of the tank under/in the muck and leaves that invariabley sink to the bottom.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_scott361_*

Guest_scott361_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:34 PM

Thanks for the info! :~)
I have tried to research on these guys, really, for years.
Most of the info is saved on my desktop and I'm currently using my laptop.

I assumed that the temps were within tolerances, but have still been stressing about them being outside and winter virtually here.
My other natives(Darters, Black-banded sunnies, etc) are kept inside year round in my native paludarium, so I only worry about them over heating with the fire going all winter.

I just went back out to check again.
I saw another sunfish, but absolutely no Cyprinella!:~(
I know that I saw them a few days ago and, as it's been rainin', the temps haven't been bad.
Now...
Tonight might be different.
It's already hittin' close to 30F, which is a sign of things to come, although the rain will be back in a few days.

I tried to look everywhere, before I broke down and asked.
Most of the recomended temps were in reference to breeding and weren't what I needed.

I was draggin' my feet because they need little care where they're at.
It's heavily planted, has a base of clay from one of my ponds filled with tubificid worms and covered with a layer of sand.
It's also thriving with copepods(Daphnea, etc).
Once inside, I'd have to start feeding, the time involved would be increased and I wanted to delay all of that.

I wasn't sure where Sachs got theirs from, if that made a difference and if the tolerances were different.
I've always kept everything inside and haven't had to concern myself with some of these things before.

My second though was some kind of predation!
Other than the Sunfish and a few smaller insects, I can't see much so far.
But...the school was there a few nights ago!
So, I'm not sure

Hmmm...
While I was previewing my response, I saw your posting.
Thanks!
I hadn't really thought about them semi-hibernating.
I'm still not fully convinced that there isn't a problem, as they were just seen a few days ago.

Since I just cleaned out a ton of leaves...
I might have something else to worry about now.
I did use a very small rake(pooper scooper), so it wasn't like I netted anything out.
I also did a water change, as the leaves were potentially too much for the system to handle and I wanted clearer water.
It was all filtered through a fine net, slowly all day, to avoid losing the live food, let alone the actual fish.
I did leave a lot of leaves and just took out the excess that I though would cause problems.

Thanks!
Scott

#5 Guest_D_Wilkins_*

Guest_D_Wilkins_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:38 PM

Scott,

I collected some about 3-4 week ago and the water temp was 41 F or 6 deg C. Most of the specimens were not in there normal location out in the middle of the ripples (fast water), most came from the edges under rocks in slower water.

How cold they get I would not worry to much about, just try to make sure the temp does not bounce a lot. Although I have seen some of these streams change 5-7 deg F within a few hours.

Good Luck with them, they are one of my favorites.

David

#6 Guest_scott361_*

Guest_scott361_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for more reassurance about them! :~)
I tend to be a worrier about everything!
They're still not to be found, but I'll hope for the best.

One of my initial thoughts was about something snagging them!
As the water is about three foot deep, I ruled out the cats.
I put an end to all the racoons, within five miles, so they're not a problem.
One concern was about predatory insect larvae and perhaps some of the rough skinned newts.
I netted out everything that I could find and did an intensive bug hunt, along with a major water change before I added them.
Since they've been with the sunfish for months and were far larger, now, I didn't think that they were the problem.

The current outside temp isn't bad, as it's just about 40F.
I'm not sure what the water temps are, as I broke my last thermometer and haven't replaced it.
I generally don't worry about having one and never really think about it.
This is a photo of where they are:
af727f.jpg
As the plantlife is still growing and everything else seems fine, I would've thought that they'd be fine as well.
If all else fails...
I did order some replacements. Along with some other additions! ;~)

20 more Fieryblack Shiners
20 Rainbow shiners (Notropis chrosomus)
8 Sailfin Shiners (Pteronotropis grandipinnis)
12 Mountain Redbelly Dace (Phoxinus oreas)
8 Golden Topminnow (Fundulus chrysotus)

They will all go inside!! ;~)
Hopefully my missing shiners are fine and I'll find them later.
If so, I'll have a really nice school of 'em!

Thanks again!
Scott

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users