New To Hobby

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mshi_*

Guest_mshi_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:13 PM

I will be setting up a native fish tank in the spring. Current experience is with freshwater tropicals and tropical marine. I will using a 75 gallon tank and live within walking distance of a small lake in northeast PA. Any advice is surely welcome.

#2 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2006 - 04:28 PM

start with shiners some ofthe most easy to keep and stay small for the most part

#3 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2006 - 05:52 PM

I also started natives with years of tropical experience. I went straight to sunfish (pumpkinseeds and bluegills, more recently central longear sunfish and green sunfish) and yellow perch. Those particular fish are in a 55 gallon tank and are doing well. Start with those if you like.

I guess a better question is where do you plan on collecting fish? You seem to be suggesting that you intend to get them from that lake. So, what is in the lake? You can also explore your local streams, and team up with some people here for regional collecting trips. Read some other threads about that, or start your own thread seeking collecting partners. What you collect is going to depend on what is available at your collection locations.

Where in northeastern Pennsylvania are you? I suggest you update your profile to include your location so it shows on your posts. That way nobody has to ask. I am in the eastern suburbs of Pittsburgh. I haven't explored the streams of central Pennsylvania yet, although I certainly intend to. If you would like to meet in between us in central Pennsylvania, it might only be a couple hour drive for each of us, I would be happy to explore some streams with you sometime. Let me know.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users