Congrats to NVCichlids!

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:48 AM

I would like to extend congratulations to our very own "NVCichlids" (Nathaniel Veith) for getting his question about native fish published in the January 2009 issue of Aquarium Fish International magazine. On page 6 of the issue, Nate asks what might be a good cleanup crew for a tank with native killies and Elassoma. Unfortunately, the editor of the column has obviously been mis-informed about our native fish. He says that, "...Our continent hasn't been overly blessed with colorful or interesting species for the aquarium....". He then goes on to suggest only tadpoles or snails as a possible cleanup crew. Perhaps we need to set this guy straight! In any event, congrats to NVCichlids!

#2 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:20 AM

I just sent the editor of the column an email. If anyone else wants to tell him that our continent's fish are most definitely "colorful" and "interesting", you can submit a post to http://fishchannel.com/contact. The column was "Freshwater Q & A" and the editor's name is Mike Wickham.

Brian

Brian J. Torreano - Owner
BTDarters
American Native Fish for
your aquarium...and more!
Web: http://www.btdarters.com
Phone: (262) 268-7489

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:12 PM

Neither of these are my pictures to send (one from farmer Todd I think, and the other is a cover of a book)... but if anyone ever says anything about colorful native fish, here is the counter point... not only are these colorful, but relatively common in their range and not at all a problem to keep in a 75 gallon aquarium...
Attached File  shiner_and_hydrophlox.jpg   93.83KB   7 downloads
Attached File  FishesofMSRB.jpg   68.74KB   8 downloads
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:44 PM

I would like to extend congratulations to our very own "NVCichlids" (Nathaniel Veith) for getting his question about native fish published in the January 2009 issue of Aquarium Fish International magazine. On page 6 of the issue, Nate asks what might be a good cleanup crew for a tank with native killies and Elassoma. Unfortunately, the editor of the column has obviously been mis-informed about our native fish. He says that, "...Our continent hasn't been overly blessed with colorful or interesting species for the aquarium....". He then goes on to suggest only tadpoles or snails as a possible cleanup crew. Perhaps we need to set this guy straight! In any event, congrats to NVCichlids!

What a BS answer from the editor. He'll be getting an email from me. Congrats to NV though on getting the question published.

#5 Guest_camber1981_*

Guest_camber1981_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:18 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but what are those weird looking fish in the second pic?

#6 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:09 PM

Yes indeed - Congrats Nathan

Pardon my ignorance, but what are those weird looking fish in the second pic?

Yellowfin shiners and bluehead chubs
I love those pics by the way - thanks for sharing them Michael.

#7 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:13 AM

Michael,

Thanks for posting those pics! I've put the first one as the desktop on my computer :biggrin: . Are the larger fish Common Shiners or Striped Shiners? Also, what are the orange/red minnows?

Brian

BTDarters
American Native Fish for

#8 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:14 AM

Oh, are the third species Redfin Shiners?

Brian

BTDarters
American Native Fish for

#9 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:33 AM

IMO, looks like striped shiners, Tennessee shiners, and rosefin shiners (as opposed to redfin).

#10 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:55 AM

I believe the Lythrurus are Scarlet shiners, although I think fasciolarus was recently elevated from a subspecies of rosefin.

#11 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:59 AM

Thanks for posting those pics! I've put the first one as the desktop on my computer :biggrin: . Are the larger fish Common Shiners or Striped Shiners? Also, what are the orange/red minnows?

I am not sure, that first pic came from another NANFAn... I think Farmer Todd, he would would be able to identify the fish more specifically, because he knows the first rule of identification... know where you are stnding, and he knows where he was standing.

Someone else already got the id correct on the other pic... yellowfins and blueheads...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#12 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:10 AM

I was there with Todd, Casper, Phil, and co. to see that spawning aggregation; it was in the Barren River, KY. They are indeed Striped, Scarlet, and Tennessee shiners.

Edited by Newt, 25 November 2008 - 11:11 AM.

#13 Guest_brian1973_*

Guest_brian1973_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:43 PM

I picked up a copy of the magazine today, another quote "suitable aquarium species originate from the southeastern U.S., from Florida, Alabama, Georgia." , seems that if it isnt atleast sub tropical it isnt fit for home aquariums.

#14 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:18 PM

Thanks for the IDs guys! It's an awesome picture!

Brian

BTDarters
American Native Fish for

#15 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:19 PM

I just tossed together a quick darter page, aimed at the home aquariast. No scientific information of any substance, but the academic journals online tend to be rather dry, so I thought I'd give the average person a quick tour of what I've found. Plenty of colorful photos here.

Point that editor at this page...

My Darter Page

#16 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:26 PM

I believe the Lythrurus are Scarlet shiners, although I think fasciolarus was recently elevated from a subspecies of rosefin.

Yeah, scarlets are Lythrurus fasciolaris, separated from L. ardens.

#17 Guest_fishyz_*

Guest_fishyz_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:36 PM

Ive been wanting to write a article to send in to Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine about keeping natives in the aquarium (especially colorful ones) and this incident might give me a good reason to do it.

#18 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:29 AM

Submit your article to AFI instead. They seem to be more in need of enlightenment.

#19 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:59 AM

Yeah, but who pays more TFH or AFI? (And what is the pay anyway?)

#20 Guest_fishyz_*

Guest_fishyz_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:43 PM

Well I don't get AFI so that why i want to do TFH. I don't really care about the pay but i could us some extra cash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users