logperch near south eastern pa

18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:58 PM

I was curious if anyone has caught logperch anywhere remotely close to south eastern Pennsylvania?

The diversity of our perches is absolutely fascinating. I understand they are not exactly common in my area but I would love to have one down the road. I will probably end up buying one later if I can but it would be cool to catch one. I hear they can be difficult so I'd like to wait till I have a bit more experience. :biggrin:

#2 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:31 PM

I was curious if anyone has caught logperch anywhere remotely close to south eastern Pennsylvania?

That depends on what you mean by "remotely close". I have found them in southwestern Pennsylvania, specifically, in the Allegheny River here in Allegheny County. If you look here, you will find that in southeastern Pennsylvania they supposedly exist in the Lower Susquehanna watershed. Good luck!

The diversity of our perches is absolutely fascinating.

I assume that you know that logperches are not perches, but darters? Of course, they do seem to be grouped by biologists with the perches, if that's what you mean.

#3 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:57 PM

I assume that you know that logperches are not perches, but darters? Of course, they do seem to be grouped by biologists with the perches, if that's what you mean.

Percidae was what I should have said. Everything from Walleye to Darters = Awesome!

Edited by bart, 29 November 2008 - 10:59 PM.

#4 Guest_TomNear_*

Guest_TomNear_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:31 AM

Hello Bart,
There is a logperch species, Percina bimaculata that is in the lower Susquehanna in souteastern PA.

The attached PDF has some information on localities in PA. I would be very interested to know if you find any.

Link : http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=5873

#5 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:35 AM

I'm here in Lancaster County and I've never seen ANY darters other than the always abundant Tesselated Darters. But I'd love to find some others.

Dean

#6 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:00 AM

Just a quick note and not trying to play the boogy man. I've been in communication with PA agencies about Chesapeake logperch (e.g. the species Tom is referencing) and the state will be proposing to list it as endangered or threatened. They are currently restricted to a very small portion of the Susq. in Pa.

Dean, I'm surprised you don't see greenside darters in Lancaster County and potentially banded darter.

#7 Guest_TomNear_*

Guest_TomNear_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:28 AM

Matt-No boogey man on your part. I guess I would advise to get them while you can!

#8 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:02 PM

Just a quick note and not trying to play the boogy man. I've been in communication with PA agencies about Chesapeake logperch (e.g. the species Tom is referencing) and the state will be proposing to list it as endangered or threatened. They are currently restricted to a very small portion of the Susq. in Pa.

Dean, I'm surprised you don't see greenside darters in Lancaster County and potentially banded darter.

Hi Matt, they may well be here but I've had no luck. Yet. I'll keep looking!

#9 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:25 PM

Thanks for the info Tom, I live close to one of the creeks they describe and surely will be sampling. Would it be a waste of time to look this time of year on a warmer day or should I wait till spring/summer?

Can anyone give advice on methods for catching log perch? Seine? Dip net? Explosives? Car battery and jumper cables?

#10 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:20 PM

Logperch are fairly large and athletic, your best bet is with a seine preferably with a 3-person crew to do "darter dancing"--two people hold the net facing into the current, and one kicks downstream into the net. Try at the low end of a riffle system flowing into a deeper pool over gravel or cobble. Most darters are active over the winter so you don't have to hit the deeper pools where other fishes might hang out in. And hopefully you don't have to break through ice, or have the net freeze, or any other craziness.

#11 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:43 AM

Logperch are fairly large and athletic, your best bet is with a seine preferably with a 3-person crew to do "darter dancing"--two people hold the net facing into the current, and one kicks downstream into the net. Try at the low end of a riffle system flowing into a deeper pool over gravel or cobble. Most darters are active over the winter so you don't have to hit the deeper pools where other fishes might hang out in. And hopefully you don't have to break through ice, or have the net freeze, or any other craziness.

Interestingly enough, all of the logperches that I have found in the Allegheny River were found at the heads of riffles, using a 4'x4' seine (maximum legal size in PA), either kick-seining alone or with a buddy from work.

#12 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:00 PM

Gonna get one while I still can, maybe next weekend. Very cool. Thanks for the great advice everyone. I am really enjoying the this whole native keeping thing. I started with a strict interest in keeping game fish but I have come to find the more manageable sized fish are far more interesting. I am surprised how much I enjoy watching my darters in action. :mrgreen:

What would the legalities of someone catching and breeding p. bimaculata for sale be? Are logperch hard to breed?

If I understand this correctly, they only exist in the lower Susquehanna? Are there other logperch present or is that the only one?

thanks again,

bART

#13 Guest_TomNear_*

Guest_TomNear_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:30 AM

Bart-I would try the mouth of Fishing Creek at the Susquehanna. P. bimaculata used to be found in the Potomac and Susquehanna, but is now restricted to the Susquehanna. There are no other logperch species there.

Good luck and let me know if you find them.

#14 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:20 AM

I just read a 1910ish Fish Commission report of fish from the Potomac in the D.C. area. Very intersting to compare the percid community 100 years ago to what it is today.

#15 Guest_TomNear_*

Guest_TomNear_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:29 AM

I just read a 1910ish Fish Commission report of fish from the Potomac in the D.C. area. Very intersting to compare the percid community 100 years ago to what it is today.

For another nice contrast check out the Smith and Bean (1899) paper cited in my P. bimaculata study.

Do you have the citation for the 1910 report?

#16 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:52 AM

Bart-I would try the mouth of Fishing Creek at the Susquehanna. P. bimaculata used to be found in the Potomac and Susquehanna, but is now restricted to the Susquehanna. There are no other logperch species there.

Good luck and let me know if you find them.

Would that be the fishing creek located in southern lancaster county? There are several in PA from what I understand.

I have been there at the mouth while chasing wild brown trout and it has an odd hillbilly haunted feel to it. :tongue:

#17 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:31 AM

Tom,

I may be thinking of the Smith and Bean paper actually. I think the 1910 paper was a mussel study and I mixed the two up.

#18 Guest_eLeMeNt_*

Guest_eLeMeNt_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:16 PM

Any other interesting oddball species besides logperch and trout perch mentioned in that paper?

#19 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:37 PM

tench, typical non-native gamefish, no greenside darters. I'll send you a copy Monday.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users