Pikerel starter

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_blurock_*

Guest_blurock_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:12 PM

Alright, so I've been keeping fish for quiet some time now, have 5 tanks set up ranging from 10g to 300g, and recently decided to fulfill one of my long time dreams... Pickerel. So I ordered a grass and a redfin from Sach's and they should be shipped out on Monday. Wondering if you guys could give me some pointers on keeping the lil guys?
I have a tank set up right now with two yellow perch and some channels that are growing out right now before they go into the 300 and then into a pond.
What temp should they be kept at? Cause right now the tanks rather on the cold side being in a cement basement with no heater, though adding a heater is no problem.

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:39 PM

Alright, so I've been keeping fish for quiet some time now, have 5 tanks set up ranging from 10g to 300g, and recently decided to fulfill one of my long time dreams... Pickerel. So I ordered a grass and a redfin from Sach's and they should be shipped out on Monday. Wondering if you guys could give me some pointers on keeping the lil guys?
I have a tank set up right now with two yellow perch and some channels that are growing out right now before they go into the 300 and then into a pond.
What temp should they be kept at? Cause right now the tanks rather on the cold side being in a cement basement with no heater, though adding a heater is no problem.

Not sure where you are at, but I doubt that your cold basement temps are going to be a problem for a pickerel. The other fish may be a problem depending on how big everyone is. Make sure the perch or channels don't grow too big and eat your pickerel... or visa versa... Also, cats are nocturnal hunters and can be rather stressful for a quite ambush predator like a pickerel (not a mix I would recommend, but it is up to you).

Best set up for a pickerel is a rather heavily planted tank (again, ambush predator that prefers to blend into the surroundings, hence the pattern), with only food for friends (guppies, grass shrimp, etc.).
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:43 PM

I would make sure you keep the pickerel well fed with appropriately sized food items. Otherwise, you will have just one pickerel in a very short time.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users