American brook lamprey

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:41 PM

Found a really nice site this spring. It was teeming with spawning american brooks. I am interested in possibly looking for the ammocoetes. Did I spell that right? Wondering how far below the spawning site, and in exactly what type of substrate, I might luck into some of the larva?

#2 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:51 PM

I'm certain that BrookLamprey will be able to answer this a bit more fully, and possibly correctly, but I will give it a shot. I know that the ammocoetes are generally found in muck, normally a mixture of mud, sand and leaf litter. The best place to find them is sorting through calm areas just downstream from the riffles where they spawned in the collected leaf litter. Good luck

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2006 - 09:33 PM

Thanks, I really was not sure how far they traveled on their spawning runs.

#4 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 01:09 PM

Exactly as dsmith73 described. I always find the Ammocoetus in down stream pools and bends in a sand / Muck / Leaf litter substrate. These areas are almost always a bit downstream from shallow riffles.

#5 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:05 PM

Since these species don't feed as adults there is little to no need to migrate very far. In my experience with 2 species on the Delmarva Peninsula, the ammocoete beds were immediately downstream of the spawnning sites. If you have never seen them spawn, this is one of the coolest things that you can witness.
Frtitz

#6 Guest_Where'dego?!_*

Guest_Where'dego?!_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:55 PM

I understand lampreys can sometimes be found downstream after a strong rain flushes them out of their burrows.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users