maine cyprinids

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_riffles_*

Guest_riffles_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:17 PM

are there any cyprinids in maine that can be kept in a 75 gallon tank with guppies, cherry barbs, zebra danios, oto catfish and a chinese algae eater. tank is 75 degrees has a ph of 7 and is lightly planted.

#2 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:11 AM

riffles,

You may want to check out this thread about using NatureServe. NatureServe can help you find out what fish are found in Maine.

Brian

#3 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:02 AM

Not sure any fish there are going to be terribly comfortable in the aforementioned set-up though.

#4 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:10 PM

Small golden shiners will do ok in that set up if you keep a half dozen or more to school together. They will grow too large eventually.
They may also be a bit fragile and prone to fungus at that higher temp.

#5 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:38 PM

What about peal dace or northern redbelly dace? the temperature might be on the warm side for them but I think they are found in that area and both are more lake dwelling rather than stream dwelling and use vegetation to spawn in.

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:22 PM

Not sure any fish there are going to be terribly comfortable in the aforementioned set-up though.

Sure, aren't creek chubs cyprinids? Tough as nails and they would love the food rich environment...

Edited by Michael Wolfe, 23 December 2008 - 09:22 PM.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:25 PM

Sure, aren't creek chubs cyprinids? Tough as nails and they would love the food rich environment...

I think they want fish that won't eat their tankmates.

#8 Guest_riffles_*

Guest_riffles_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2008 - 04:36 PM

i checked naturserv what about bridle shiners and banded killiefish, also what is the maximum temperature for northern redbelly dace

#9 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:29 PM

Banded killifish are good aquarium fish, tolerant of a wide range of conditions and unlikely to eat tankmates. I've caught them in coastal ponds on Cape Cod in pretty warm water, and in central Massachusetts in clear, cold streams and ponds.

#10 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:25 AM

Now that you mention it, I have kept banded killies in tropical community tanks back in the day. They are peaceful, durable and eat flake. They do seem prone to sprouting fungus in the warmer temps.
Bridled shiners are beautiful and hardy and do inhabit weedy standing water that may reach warm temps. They might work. Just be sure to check the regs. Bridles are declining in the northeast and are protected in Ma.
I have never kept pearl dace and don't know their requirements but they do turn up in bait shops [Maine only allows locally collected bait] and live forever in a bait bucket so they must be hardy.
Northern redbelly dace may inhabit standing water that warms for a short time in summer but their range is so far north I suspect they are temp sensitive. Don't know for sure having never kept them [protected in Ma].
One thing to consider is lowering the temp in your tropical community to ~ 70 F. Should still be warm enough for the hardy tropicals while giving the natives a break. It's a win - win cause you save electricity and your fish live longer as well. Just be sure to avoid tropical species that need higher temps.

#11 Guest_riffles_*

Guest_riffles_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:18 PM

thanks for the advice

#12 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:36 PM

I have only collected Northern Redbellies once. They came out of a very shallow, warm beaver pond and were found with small golden shiners in the outflow.

#13 Guest_hornpout_*

Guest_hornpout_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:11 PM

If you want to see what fish are where in the great state of Maine, check out PEARL. It's a fantastic resource. :D

#14 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:33 PM

The temperature is what bothers me, i had fish die from summer heat in unheated tanks I am not sure how I heated would do.

As for shiners most new england species will be compatible with those species. If I remember right only the fallfish, creek chub, common shiner, and golden shiner get big enough to eat them.

I would also warn against banded killifish. They love eating small fish and will go all piranha on species smaller than them but big enough to fit in their mouth, even their own kind (how do they ever school up in the wild?). Death by banded killifish is a horriblly brutal way to go. Just be lucky they don't grow to near human size.

A quick tip, add current if you can, I finds that helps limit the jumping of dace and chubs.

Edited by FirstChAoS, 27 February 2011 - 11:35 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users