#1 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:34 PM

in the last few weeks my largest shiner has changed
the face is now covered with white pours
between its eyes and down to nose maybe 30 or more
this shiners is about 4.5" long and 2" high. the smaller two
seem ok and do not have any changes to there head area.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:11 PM

Do you mean the fish is tuberculated, with bumps coming up on the head? It's a little early for that to happen, but I guess you never know. When male striped shiners get into season they turn an undescribable pink along with the tuberculation. On the other hand, if it's pores rather than bumps, I'm at a loss to say what it is.

#3 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:21 PM

Do you mean the fish is tuberculated, with bumps coming up on the head? It's a little early for that to happen, but I guess you never know. When male striped shiners get into season they turn an undescribable pink along with the tuberculation. On the other hand, if it's pores rather than bumps, I'm at a loss to say what it is.

white pours like a horny head chub get
let me do a google on tuberculated im not sure what that is.

Edited by CATfishTONY, 25 December 2008 - 10:28 PM.

#4 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:39 PM

fundulus, i found a web site with a fish that looks the same as mine.
weeks ago it didnt have this. it the fish on the left look @ the larger pic.

http://gallery.nanfa...iped Shiner.JPG

my fish is silver in background and yellow in the fins with a translucent green sheen on top of sides now also.
it has no pink in fin or scales

Edited by CATfishTONY, 25 December 2008 - 11:03 PM.

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2008 - 11:16 PM

The pink that will show up is a strangely indirect pink that will show up in certain light rather than a hot pink. I'd guess he won't show it for weeks, if at all this year if he's relatively young. It's an underappreciated species.

#6 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2008 - 11:20 PM

The pink that will show up is a strangely indirect pink that will show up in certain light rather than a hot pink. I'd guess he won't show it for weeks, if at all this year if he's relatively young. It's an underappreciated species.

so this is normal? and my other shiners are just younger
this one is 1.5" long then the rest.

#7 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:05 AM

fundulus, Hi thanks for the tip. your the man!
I looked up what you suggested and my fish must be a male for sure.
the fish is tuberculated and in the early stages of a chemical change in his system. YET another reason why I come to
this site so often. not to mention the wealth of knowledge here and it's members rule.I was way off base and thought my fish was ill.

Thanks Tony have a good holiday
please direct me to a link were i may help as in funds for the site for the free advise posted here

#8 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:39 AM

Hi Tony,

It sounds like you've gotten it figured out. I thought I'd post a couple photos an undergrad I'm working with, Phil Mathias (aka Long Hair Phil) took this spring on the Raisin River in Michigan of a large tuberculate striped shiner.

striped_01.jpg

striped_02.jpg

As for making a donation, or become a full member of NANFA (which I'd suggest, you get a really great magazine 4 times a year), click on over to here: http://www.nanfa.org/join.shtml

Todd

#9 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:20 AM

Hi Tony,

It sounds like you've gotten it figured out. I thought I'd post a couple photos an undergrad I'm working with, Phil Mathias (aka Long Hair Phil) took this spring on the Raisin River in Michigan of a large tuberculate striped shiner.

striped_01.jpg

striped_02.jpg

As for making a donation, or become a full member of NANFA (which I'd suggest, you get a really great magazine 4 times a year), click on over to here: http://www.nanfa.org/join.shtml

Todd

hi farmertodd
nice fish. please direct me to a site with more info on how shiners change pre-season.
I must say I have little to nothing figured out when it comes to fish.you see I never put 2 and 2 together
with fish color and breeding to me there was just brightly colored bait fish and silver bait fish.
before finding this web site to me all sunfish were bluegills all minnows
were some kinda chub and shiners were just silver soft bait some had color some did'nt.
thanks for the link I will put a check in the mail Monday have a good day.

#10 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:59 AM

I finally got my camera to work again, My kitten spilled coke on it and the shutter is locking up.
it was a bad day. this is what it looks like on top of his head.

Attached Images

• inseason.jpg
  • iseason2.jpg

#11 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:46 AM

I remember the day I saw this species for the first time. I had no idea it even existed, so Bruce is right in that it is underappreciated. The specimens I saw were in FULL color, actively sitting on their nests in a creek. ( or at least hovering over some pits which they defended vigorously )
I was amazed. I had no idea what they were, and couldn't figure it out from sifting through nearly a dozen books. I never found a picture of fully colored specimens, and couldn't even guess what they could be. I even reported the find on the NANFA email list, but it was months later before Bruce posted a pic of one in an unrelated story and I finally had the answer.

They're one of my favorites, to be sure. I can't get them around here, but one of these days I'm sure I'll be heading back to THAT creek. Even the fish in Todd's pictures isn't as intensely colored as the ones I saw that day, and if yours should ever color up fully, you'll be in for a very nice treat. It's such a shame that they can't wear their best finery all year.

#12 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2008 - 12:04 PM

[quote name='Mysteryman'
if you can ever make it up to ohio drop me a pm and I
will hook you up with the spot I get them from 2.5"-7" long
on a hook and line most are about 3.5"

tony

#13 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:02 PM

Wondering will striped shiner regain the same intensity of orange coloration in the aquarium, and usually how long will they maintain the color?

#14 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:04 PM

Bigger striped shiners are more likely to gain and hold color in aquaria. And this species can get big -- I've seen them easily 8 inches long in several creeks in central and north Alabama. But most that are caught in seines or nets are 5 inches or less.

#15 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:24 PM

It figures that they'd get too big to be very practical aquarium fish.
Still, I'm taking my camcorder next time just to capture them for viewing on my TV, and online. The spot I where I found them was very, very difficult to enter/exit without a rope or a winch, but the bird's eye view of them was fabulous. I never did find the fish I was really looking for that day, but I didn't care; they made the long drive worth it.

#16 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:42 PM

In recent years it is not hard to obtain larger tanks with appropriate filtration :mrgreen: If color is maintained for the major part of the year I can see them becoming popular for people who like large barbs and charracins. How'bout koi ponds?

#17 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:53 PM

I think I posted these photo's before some where on here but they fit in nicely in this discussion. Here are some breeding striped shiners. I was fly fishing for them and stopped to take some photo's in the river of a large spawning group of them, you can see both males (pink with the breeding turbicles, which they were using to actively ram one another and fight over females and the best spawning locations) and the females that have little color and no turbicles.

Spawning_agregation_of_Striped_Shiners10_from_the_Huron_River_OH_May_2007_by_BZ.jpg
Spawning_agregation_of_Striped_Shiners9_from_the_Huron_River_OH_May_2007_by_BZ.jpg
Spawning_agregation_of_Striped_Shiners22_from_the_Huron_River_OH_May_2007_by_BZ.jpg
Spawning_agregation_of_Striped_Shiners23_from_the_Huron_River_OH_May_2007_by_BZ.jpg
Spawning_agregation_of_Striped_Shiners24_from_the_Huron_River_OH_May_2007_by_BZ.jpg
Spawning_agregation_of_Striped_Shiners20_from_the_Huron_River_OH_May_2007_by_BZ.jpg

Of course I caught a few of them as well...
Male_Striped_Shiner1_from_the_Huron_River_OH_May_2007_by_BZ.jpg
Male_Striped_Shiner1_from_Muddy_Creek_OH_May_2007_by_BZ.jpg

#18 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:02 AM

'smbass'
that is to cool!!!

#19 Guest_rick_*

Guest_rick_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:41 AM

For those who might be interested in keeping a shiner with similar body proportions, high color at times, and much smaller at maturity than the Striped Shiner...take a look at the Crescent Shiner (Luxilus cerasinus) with a photo here: http://www.cnr.vt.ed...s/crescent.html

Rick

#20 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:32 PM

Hey Brian why are you running tandems?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users