crawfish as tank mates and there attitudes!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:49 PM

my crawfish have changed in the last week or so, they are more aggressive to the fish.
this started after my shiner (Luxilus chrysocephalus) started to get tuberculated
and his attitude increased towards others in the tank.he is now the top dog for sure even the greensunfish
keeps away from him now.this shiner picks up the crawfish and drags them around the tank by a leg
and the crawfish have turned real mean and pinch the other smaller fish some have healed but the smaller fishes look a mess
scales gone and white patches from the battles @ night.can i take a finger nail clipper and nip off just the tip of the claws to keep them
from harming the other smaller fish? my rusty crawfish also lost in in a battle a few nights ago.it is now part of the food chain in the tank.
his shell was cracked open some how on the right side.

#2 Guest_NZstella_*

Guest_NZstella_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:59 PM

Wow, how weird!

I guess your crawfish is just reacting to the aggression of the shiner. You might need to do something about one of them, either remove the crawfish, who's behaviour is damaging the fish, or remove the shiner who has caused the problem in the first place.

You really can't trim its claws. It is not like trimming a dog's claws. Ever noticed how if a crawfish loses a leg or claw it is missing from the same joint? I think they have evolved to break off at that weak point, where it will heal over rapidly, but if they break somewhere else they might not heal so easily and develop infections etc.

I find with my crayfish over a certain length they start becoming more aggressive and attack the fish more. Also just after they shed they seem to have this whole "I Am The MAN!" attitude and can be more aggressive. Totally different species but probably similar behaviours.

(what amazes me is how every crayfish has a different personality!)

#3 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:19 PM

I have had many different experiences with crays and aggression. Typically, if threatened, they get defensive. And as already mentioned, your cray is responding to the shiners' threat.
I have never done this, and never plan to - as I love my crays and won't harm them... but... I have a friend who has a 20 long with darter and dace, but also has 2 crays. He doesn't want damage, so he pulls off the cray's claws (b/c they regenerate). Then when they get too large/threatening, he pulls the claws off again.
This is depends on one's ethics. But, I do not suggest pulling off claws.
Best bet is removal of crayfish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users