Aquarium top and stand construction ideas

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:29 PM

Most of my aquariums do not have store bought hoods. Lately I have been making my aquarium tops from scavenged acrylic sheets. They tend to sag over time from the weight of the lights amoung other things. I have been considering making supports for them by notching a L shape in the ends of PVC pipes. Part of the notch would extend over the edge of the tank, with the top pf the pipes almost flush with the top of the tank. This should allow for support of the acrylic sheeting, while minimizing evaporation.

Anyone else have any cheap aquarium top ideas?

I am also looking for relatively inexpensive multi tank stand ideas (10's and 20's mostly)

Thanks

#2 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:16 AM

I use plywood, but it certainly isn't lightweight.

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:38 AM

Scavenged window screen will keep fishes from leaping out of the tanks. For multi-stand racks, I use 2x4's. Sometimes construction sites will have leftover bits of lumber that you can use. Right now I have about 30 ballasts (pulled from commercial lighting fixtures) that will eventually be used for hoods. I am always keeping my eyes open for anything that could even remotely be used for fish. Any place renovations are going on is a gold mine - you can score cabinets, sometimes MH fixtures, etc.

#4 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:02 PM

Scavenged window screen will keep fishes from leaping out of the tanks. For multi-stand racks, I use 2x4's. Sometimes construction sites will have leftover bits of lumber that you can use. Right now I have about 30 ballasts (pulled from commercial lighting fixtures) that will eventually be used for hoods. I am always keeping my eyes open for anything that could even remotely be used for fish. Any place renovations are going on is a gold mine - you can score cabinets, sometimes MH fixtures, etc.

Stand made from 2x4's only? They are beginning construction one some apartments about 10 feet from my back door, maybe I can "acquire" some materials there.

#5 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:29 PM

Stand made from 2x4's only? They are beginning construction one some apartments about 10 feet from my back door, maybe I can "acquire" some materials there.

I made my racks from 2x4's as well. They work great.

#6 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:44 PM

You use screws to attach the cross beams to the legs? Do you brace the inside conors where the crossbeams attach to the legs?

#7 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:14 PM

I used carriage bolts to attach the crossbeams to the legs and then screwed on end caps to hold the whole thing together. I just made it wide enough so that a 29 gallon could sit on it. For smaller tanks, I either put them longways or I use some plywood to cover the gap.

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:12 PM

You use screws to attach the cross beams to the legs? Do you brace the inside conors where the crossbeams attach to the legs?

I use the legs IN the inside corners. Regular wood or drywall screws do just fine - carriage bolts are overkill IMO.

#9 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:36 AM

I use the legs IN the inside corners. Regular wood or drywall screws do just fine - carriage bolts are overkill IMO.

I can't necessarily argue with this. I had the fear of the scorn of my wife to encourage me to make these as indestructable as possible. And my legs were on the inside and used as corners as well.

#10 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:05 PM

I can't necessarily argue with this. I had the fear of the scorn of my wife to encourage me to make these as indestructable as possible. And my legs were on the inside and used as corners as well.

I don't think corners are necessary. If you look at wood deck designs, few have corners (except for the new hardware things that make life easier because they don't need nails).

But I would say not to use drywall screws for the main frame. They can be brittle and snap if overstressed. After all, they are only meant to hold up drywall!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users