Frozen Bloodworms

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_crb1701_*

Guest_crb1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:21 AM

Hi,

I have never fed my fish frozen bloodworms but wanted to give it a try since many people recommend them. I have rainbow and flagfin shiners, and redbelly dace.

I pulled one of the packages out of the freezer at the pet shop, but as far as feeding instructions goes, all it says is "Feed the fish as much as they can eat in three minutes, then remove excess."

Do I just pop the frozen cube into the water and let the fish pick at it, or do I let the cube thaw and slice it up myself, then drop it in?

Thanks for your help.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:32 AM

I'd suggest putting a cube in a glass of water about two fingers deep, swirling it every so often, and pouring it into the tank when it's melted. This takes about 5 minutes. I just started the process with a cube of frozen brine shrimp for my darter gang.

#3 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:13 AM

I find my fish consume bloodworms much more efficiently when added frozen. They can pull worms off the corners as the ice melts, and much less makes it to the bottom. If you need to make sure darters are getting food that can be a problem, but for fish that hug the surface I think it works better.

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:20 AM

Also, if you've never handled bloodworms before, beware -- some people (like me) are allergic to a protein found in their blood. You'll know if you are if your fingers go numb where you touched them. This can trigger an anaphylactic (sp.?) shock event eventually if you repeatedly handle them. Bloodworms are excellent fish food, but I always wear gloves when handling them.

#5 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:59 AM

I haven't experienced numbness but I found out last year that bloodworms were causing my severe (i.e. debilitating for hours at a time) conjunctivitis. I suffered this condition occasional for nearly a year before I put two and two together and figured out that it only happened when I had been working with bloodworms. A benadryl nips it before it flares, but just yesterday I was feeding frozen bloodworms and I guess just touching the outside of the plastic flatpack with residue sent me into sneeze attacks.

Also, don't be shocked if it develops suddenly. I have been working in fish stores for the past three years routinely feeding and using bloodworms and I certainly didn't suffer ill effects when I started.

As for frozen vs thawed, thawed is much better if you have any sort of bottom dweller. Even if you just have minnows, thawed can be much better if you have large mouthed varieties. I have a 4 inch common shiner and a 6 inch bluehead chub that will get nearly all the bloodworms if thrown in as chunks.

Edited by Kanus, 21 January 2009 - 12:02 PM.

#6 Guest_crb1701_*

Guest_crb1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for all your replies, and cautions! I'm going to get some this weekend and see how my fish take to them.

#7 Guest_NZstella_*

Guest_NZstella_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:15 PM

I find they are NOT a good food for fast growing fish, just doesn't seem to be enough going on inside them.

However I do find them handy now and then, esp. for small fish and newly captured ones.

I put the cube in a very fine tea strainer and run it under the cold tap. There are lots of nutrients in the water around the worms and this gets rid of it, otherwise you are just feeding algae. Also the sudden influx of food means all the fish get a go, not just the most aggressive.

#8 Guest_crb1701_*

Guest_crb1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:43 PM

I put the cube in a very fine tea strainer and run it under the cold tap. There are lots of nutrients in the water around the worms and this gets rid of it, otherwise you are just feeding algae.

I like the tea strainer idea. I have just the item in my kitchen, too, sitting there in a drawer doing nothing.

#9 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:37 PM

I don't get numbness, but when handling either brine shrimp or bloodworms my fingers and hands itch intensly. Especially if I don't wash immediatley.

Also, if you've never handled bloodworms before, beware -- some people (like me) are allergic to a protein found in their blood. You'll know if you are if your fingers go numb where you touched them. This can trigger an anaphylactic (sp.?) shock event eventually if you repeatedly handle them. Bloodworms are excellent fish food, but I always wear gloves when handling them.

Edited by scottefontay, 21 January 2009 - 02:37 PM.

#10 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:43 PM

I'd say you have the allergy.

#11 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:04 PM

I'd say you have the allergy.

Yup, and it seems to be getting worse and worse as time goes on and on and on and on. I'll have to wear a tyvek suit to feed the fish!

#12 Guest_John4ds_*

Guest_John4ds_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

Yeah I feed my fish frozen blood worms and my hands breakout in itchy hives and my eyes get itchy too

#13 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

Im not allergic. I've never had a reaction to b/w b4. I feed my fish (black nosed dace, fatheads and 3 species of darter) frozen bloodworm and flake food which they all eat. Took awhile for the darters to catch on that flake is food but they got curious watching the dace eat it up. I get the flake from "your fish stuff". Its cheaper buying in bulk then at the petshop.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users