Trip december 9th and 10th

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2006 - 04:11 PM

For those of you wanting to make this a 2 day ordeal, I have reserved overnight accomodations for 5 in a small house at a conference center. I am on the advisory board of this center, and the accomodations are completely free. The house is very basic, but has a kitchen, so bring your own food if you like.
The location is a little over an hour to paint creek, 5 minutes to the little Miami, and a walk to Obannon creek.
So anyone planning on making this a two day trip, please get with me ASAP. Matt

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:08 PM

Okay, so far we have These confirmed attendees. Todd Crail, Ed Bihary, Chip Bowman (local Friend of mine), Brian Zimmerman, and myself. Anyone else out there planning to attend? We are still working out some specifics, and will post meeting time and place ASAP.

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:51 PM

Meeting time 9:30- 10:30.
Place Bainbridge Ohio. Gas station/ gunshop West of "downtown" Bainbridge. Corner of US 50 and and RT. 41 south. Hirns corner market. 3504 US. Rt. 50 bainbridge Ohio 45612. Make sure you are at 41 south outside of town. I am easy to spot Gold f250 extended cab. Buckets in back. PM me with a confirmation, and a cell phone # exchange. Plan on dressing warmly! WADERS a must! Plan on collecting from several locations in the area. My inlaws live right in town, so there will be a safe place to park vehichles and carpool. Also they have frontage on Paint creek. Likely that we will also hit Chenoweth fork of Sunfish creek, and possibly Rocky fork. After we are all tired and ready to call it a day, we will make the 1.25 hour journey to our overnight accomodations. Ed Bihary only gets Goldstar chili once in a while, so he has made a special request for dinner if everyone else is agreeable.
Saturday evening we will be joined by Todd Crail. Todd is dying for redside dace, and personally I would not mind going up to the Mad River myself. I think heading North on Sunday is a good idea as it will get most people except myself closer to home. We can discuss Sunday's destination amongst ourselves on Saturday evening. Darby creek is also an option.
Anyone attending Please PM me and let me know for sure. Thanks Matt

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:43 PM

Looks great!
http://waterdata.usg...wis/uv?03232470

#5 Guest_julnj2_*

Guest_julnj2_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2006 - 02:16 PM

Sorry I missed it, How did you guys do?

#6 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:16 PM

Sorry I missed it, How did you guys do?

Matt (Skipjack) and Brian (smbass) are putting together the species lists from the various streams sampled, and took the trip photos. I'm sure that one or both will post an official trip report, with photos, in the appropriate section of the forum soon, after the data have been compiled. But until then, I will answer your question by noting that we had a good time, and collected some nice fish. The weather was decent, although it had been unseasonably cold for a week or so before, and the smaller streams were partially or completely frozen over. This, as you can imagine, affected the results in those streams.

There were disappointments, and there were pleasant surprises. For example, one partially frozen over stream was supposed to yield rosyside dace. Maybe they were hiding under unbroken ice, or scared away when we broke the ice, but they were not to be found there. However, the same stream unexpectedly yielded a ~4" central longear sunfish, easily the most brilliant reddish-orange colored one I have ever seen. He is now anchoring my 55-gallon sunfish tank.

Overall it was a good time, we saw nice fish, made new friends, and we'll be looking forward to the next trip. I hope you will be able to attend.

Edit:
It looks like Matt was starting the official trip report while I was typing this reply. Look for it in the appropriate place in the forum.

#7 Guest_ShinersRock_*

Guest_ShinersRock_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:22 AM

Ah, this is where I missed it. Damn, wish I would have seen it earlier. Next trip maybe?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users