Gambusia affinis

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2006 - 09:11 PM

I found some of thes fellows today in one of my favorite waterways in Ohio :cry: I am now becoming a bit concerned about the wellbeing of our native killi, the blackstripe topminnow. Does anyone have any info on the effect that introduced Gambusia have on Topminnows or other killies?
I can currently spend a whole day netting and come up with 10- 15 topminnows in this particular river. So you can see that they are just hanging on by a thread anyway.
Matt

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:59 PM

I know DNRs across the country stock these in man-made waterways for mosquito control as well as flood control waters. But once these fish make it to natural waterways, nothing stops them from reproducing like crazy and eventually driving out the native killifish and topminnows. Maybe we should start looking at stocking locally native killies instead of non-native mosquitofish.

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:04 PM

Amen, from what I understand, Gambusia are way overated as far as their mosquito larvae consumption is concerned!

#4 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 06:07 PM

Here's a study that looked at Gambusia/native cyprinid relationships. I know they have caused trouble with killi's and other poeciliids outside of their native range.

http://www.springerl...py/fulltext.pdf

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2006 - 02:31 PM

I ALWAYS find Gambusia in association with ANY kind of topminnows, but most particularly blackstripe/spotted. It appears that they coexist quite well.

#6 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:08 AM

I ALWAYS find Gambusia in association with ANY kind of topminnows, but most particularly blackstripe/spotted. It appears that they coexist quite well.

"damnbusia", eh?

http://www.gambusia.net for a good read on the species

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:00 PM

I ALWAYS find Gambusia in association with ANY kind of topminnows, but most particularly blackstripe/spotted.  It appears that they coexist quite well.

Quite likely in areas where they are both indigenous, and the food sources fit the bill for both species. But I am concerned with our introduced Gambusia. Will the food base support both fish? Will the livebearer out compete the egglayer? I am now finding more gambusia in a days collecting than topminnows. I really do not like these fish. My sons have learned to immediately recognize, and dispatch the gambusia. Last week my 6 year old son reached into the seine, grabbed a fish, slammed it on the bank. I said "what are you doing?" he said "gambusia" I had to laugh!

#8 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:27 PM

I ALWAYS find Gambusia in association with ANY kind of topminnows, but most particularly blackstripe/spotted.  It appears that they coexist quite well.

My sons have learned to immediately recognize, and dispatch the gambusia. Last week my 6 year old son reached into the seine, grabbed a fish, slammed it on the bank. I said "what are you doing?" he said "gambusia" I had to laugh!

Send him over here to learn about Round gobies :P

#9 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:08 PM

how about golden shinners too :evil:

#10 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:08 PM

how about golden shinners too :evil:

They aren't a problem in NY, they are native here. They are native to your state as well.

#11 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:33 AM

but they got in my area by bait bucket

#12 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:52 AM

Bait bucket? In most cases gambusia are released due to either state stocking for mosquito control or private pond use.

#13 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:57 AM

I think he was talking about golden shiners

#14 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:16 AM

I think he was talking about golden shiners

Thanks Dred for the heads up. I think I'm loosing my mind. Sorry Killer.

Hey Killer,

I hate to refer to you by name for obvious reasons. I hope your name isn't indicative of your fish keeping ability. Just so you know, many might think the same thing. If you want a name change, I'm sure we can work something out.

#15 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:01 AM

Teleost,

His name is KillIer. As in he likes Killies.

#16 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:13 AM

Teleost,

His name is KillIer. As in he likes Killies.

My goodness I think I need a break for while. I'm glad this happened in the same thread (just proves the above "I've lost my mind"). How did I miss that "i" for so long?

I think I'll take a nap now.

#17 Guest_snakeskinner_*

Guest_snakeskinner_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2006 - 01:37 AM

gambusia affinis and several fundulus are found through most of Oklahoma.. I was told the topminnows actually feed on the gambusia and when we found topminnows, there were no gambusia in their area.. I suppose that could be taken both ways... Either the topminnows eliminated the gambusia in their claimed "home" or else the topminnows were inhabiting an area where they did not have to compete with gambusia..

This year I collected in the Cimarron river and caught tons of gambusia affinis, cyprinodon rubrofluviatilis, fundulus zebrinus, silversides and minnows as well as some younger sunfish and bass depending on the pool size.. One thing I noticed was in the smallest, hottest, highest salt level pools, I found only pupfish and gambusia fry in large numbers and I saw no evidence of competition between the two.. Even in ox-bows where the fish could come and go freely, adult gambusia and pupfish lived together although I didn't find zebrinus in those areas... Kyle

#18 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:39 AM

According to this site they are native to SC.
http://www.natureser...e=golden shiner

#19 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:55 AM

I was talking about golden shiners

#20 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:10 PM

I was talking about golden shiners

So was I. :wink: