Literature/Research Discussion Group

28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:38 PM

This my be a little too nerdy, but I enjoy reading and discussing fish/auqatic/other related journal articles and other related literature. I am also interested learning about current unpublished research. I propose a group in which each month, or two weeks) different members submit an article or other interesting read. We could then discuss the reading, its merits, problems, impacts, etc. I think this would be an enjoiable was to increase our understanding of fish and their enviroment. This may be to nerdy for this group, but is anyone interested?

I don't know how the discussion would go over the internet, but I am always looking for good articles to read.

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:00 PM

HA! too nerdy for this group? I doubt it!

#3 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:25 PM

I think this is an excellent idea. I also really enjoy keeping up with the current literature and I find myself having a strong opinion about what I read more often than not. I think it would be great to hear other's opinions and reasoning.

I worry that the only problem with this may be the accessibility of the articles to the non-professionals. Is there a way to search for current articles? Maybe something similar to WestLaw or PubMed?

#4 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:30 PM

I've never denied being a nerd :wink:

#5 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:40 PM

I think this is an excellent idea. I also really enjoy keeping up with the current literature and I find myself having a strong opinion about what I read more often than not. I think it would be great to hear other's opinions and reasoning.

I worry that the only problem with this may be the accessibility of the articles to the non-professionals. Is there a way to search for current articles? Maybe something similar to WestLaw or PubMed?

You can search articles with google scholar. You can also serch many journal's homepages. It may be hard to download the articles you find, but if you can give me the title I may be able to get an electronic copy.

#6 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:50 PM

I love this idea, definitly count me in on it...
Not sure just how this will be done best but I'm sure we could figure something out.

#7 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:18 PM

I love this idea, definitly count me in on it...
Not sure just how this will be done best but I'm sure we could figure something out.

It could be done fairly easily if someone (someones) pay attention to recent publications in some journals, and contact one of the authors and ask for a .pdf copy. Most authors have those now, and are happy to send them out. Certainly none of the authors would feel weird about people reading their work. I have pretty broad access to a lot of journals through my university's library subscriptions, so I can access a lot. At this rate I'm volunteering to find one and offer for perusal and kicking around.

#8 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:29 PM

That would be perfect Bruce. Thanks for volunteering. I look forward to it.

#9 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:55 AM

Hear hear!

Terriffic idea!

#10 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:13 AM

We need a way to distribute the pdf's, I'm unsure legality of hosting the on a website. E-mail list maybe?

#11 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:36 AM

We need a way to distribute the pdf's, I'm unsure legality of hosting the on a website. E-mail list maybe?

An E-mail list would be most approprate we can't legally distrubute copyright material without permission on the site. You can however E-mail it to me :P

#12 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:55 AM

This is a great Idea. Half of my "Google Scholar" searches are useless since they won't grant me access to the information I want to view :sad:

#13 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:44 PM

OK, here's a proposal for a first reading:

"Winners and losers among stream fishes in relation to land use legacies and urban development in the southeastern US", by Mark Scott of the Institute of Ecology at the University of Georgia. This appeared in the journal Biological Conservation, 2006, Vol. 127, pp. 301-309. I have a .pdf copy of it I'd be willing to send people via email by request. My own email address is fundulus at hotmail dot com.

This subject relates to one of my own on-going interests with stream fishes in southern Appalachia. I think it's a clearly written piece, with statistics but not necessarily overwhelming if you're not a pedigreed biostatistics weenie.

If people are up for it, we can put it into play and take it from there... I'm not sure what to expect(!).

#14 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:13 PM

This thread prompts me to add a question that I have had difficulty answering for a couple of years now.

What is the best way people have found to code their PDF files? PDFs seem so much nicer than the old bulky file cabinet (except when the papers have notes scribbled all over them). By first author and date? Subject? I keep toying with how to do this best.

#15 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:56 PM

This thread prompts me to add a question that I have had difficulty answering for a couple of years now.

What is the best way people have found to code their PDF files? PDFs seem so much nicer than the old bulky file cabinet (except when the papers have notes scribbled all over them). By first author and date? Subject? I keep toying with how to do this best.

I tend to have my pdf's grouped by subject.

Let's get an email list going. If you want in either post your email address here or PM it to me.

This is a great Idea. Half of my "Google Scholar" searches are useless since they won't grant me access to the information I want to view :sad:

Let me know what you want and I will try and get it.

#16 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:06 PM

I'm definately for this, and I like the sound of your suggestion Bruce.

I tend to make files for the invididual journals and then code the file name by date and pages so the extension looks something like C:\My Documents\Journals\Copeia\1_2006_55

That way I can search years and pages. I've occasionally put in primary author last names as well before the volume number.

#17 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:08 PM

I can add a section to post PDFs if you guys want. You will be able to upload PDFs as attachments. Let me know.

#18 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:19 PM

I can add a section to post PDFs if you guys want. You will be able to upload PDFs as attachments. Let me know.

If we get permission to allow uploads we could then create a library for them?

#19 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:00 PM

You might be confused as to why this just got moved to the Taxonomic discussion forum.....
Well that is because the interest was enough to give Scientific information and discussion it's own forum.

Name will be changed in just a short bit :P

#20 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:38 AM

Let's get an email list going. If you want in either post your email address here or PM it to me.

We shouldn't need to do that. Show your email addresses. On your "My Controls" page, uncheck the "Hide my email address from other members" checkbox. Why do we need to hide our email addresses from each other? That shouldn't even be an option. I had mine displayed with the old forum software, but somehow this option got checked when the new software was installed and I had to uncheck the box.

Anyway, if it helps you, add this to your list:
edbihary at verizon dot net

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users