How Can I Get Mudminnows to Eat Pellets?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:56 PM

i know some people have got their mudminnows trained to eat pellets.

i would like to do the same

right now, they will only eat live foods. when i drop a shrimp pellet in and it gets soggy, my smaller mudminnow will eat it, but he spits it out small bits at a time. i'm not sure if its actually spitting it all out, or eating some of it.

the big mudminnow will hit a pellet on the way down, but then he spits it out and doesnt touch it.

how can i train them to eat pellets?

#2 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:01 PM

What kind of pellets? I know a lot of people have success with HBH Super Soft.

Here is a pic : http://pet.imageg.ne...3762071t400.jpg

#3 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:18 PM

mine are Wardley Shrimp Pellets. orange can from Petco.

they are very hard but they get soggy after about 20 sec in the water and they're easy to pick apart.

#4 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:15 PM

Maybe try soaking the pellets a bit before you feed and dangling them on some thread or something. It got my crappie to eat pieces of earthworm like that. It was like mini-fishing. :tongue:

#5 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:54 PM

good idea with the string, that will probably work because they only seem to eat something if it moves. how do you attach the string so they can get the pellet off easy?

#6 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:24 PM

tie it or twist it. may work better if the pellets are a little soft but not mushy.

#7 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:27 PM

Try letting the pellets sit in water for a little bit and mix them in with some brine shrimp or blood worms. Eventually, lessen the dose of the shrimp or worms until its mostly pellets. Never tried it with Mudminnows, but it's a suggestion.

#8 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:11 PM

I put my mudminnows in a tank with shiners who eat flake and they eventually learned that flakes are food so mine now attack flake food.

#9 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:09 PM

I put my mudminnows in a tank with shiners who eat flake and they eventually learned that flakes are food so mine now attack flake food.

my two smaller mudminnows now eat flakes that make it to the bottom, but my biggest mudminnow only accepts live foods.

#10 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:16 AM

hard to teach an old dog new tricks...meaning it can be easier to get younger fish onto prepared foods like pellets.

#11 Guest_EdBihary_*

Guest_EdBihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:18 PM

I've been feeding freeze-dried bloodworms to mine. They waste no time going after them.

#12 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:44 AM

It seems that in all cases I can remember, once one mudminnow figured out that pellets were a food source, the others angrily started eating it too. They seem competitive over the food, and could not stand the other mudminnows getting something to eat.

I have had the best luck with TetraColor Tropical Granuals. I don't know why they keep changing the name of this product. It was Discus bits, Tetra bits, Tetra color bits, and several other names over the years. One of the best foods I have found to get any picky fish to eat prepared foods. It is a good size for most fish from two to six inches, although getting small for fish over four inches. It can easily be powderized with your fingers for smaller fish.

#13 Guest_oscarbartoni_*

Guest_oscarbartoni_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:42 PM

What some people that raise tropical fishes do is to soak the prepared foods in fresh squeezed garlic juice. This is a natural attractant as well as helping get rid of parasites.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users