Freshwater Mussels of the Connecticut River

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:04 AM

Hi folks, a post to another email list to forward along. While this may be a particular assemblage you never work with, the information in this book is priceless (even tho it will prob only cost you $5). Ethan really outdid himself and everyone else on the ecology, reproductive biology, conservation, sampling, etc. The book is about 1/3 species accounts, which were in amazing detail compared to any other text. The other 2/3's is the aforementioned list of info on mussels. Boatloads of citations too. And with anything Ethan does... Tons of eye candy!

The page is kinda confusing. The book is free, you just pay the $5 for shipping and handling. So when you check out, it will say you are getting charged $5 through PayPal and that is it.

Todd

Copied from message on Unio List....

Hi Folks,
Last April I sent out an announcement for a new book about freshwater mussels and the Connecticut River watershed. People who enjoyed "Freshwater Mussels of Maine" will likely enjoy this new publication for similar reasons, but the new one has a stronger conservation and management focus. It has 64 pages of introductory material, 50 pages of species accounts for the 12 species that occur in the watershed, and some back matter including a bibliography. In total, it is 132 pages, full-color, on glossy paper. The cost is $5.00 -- far less than what it cost to print each copy but we were fortunate to have raised grant money for production & printing and therefore did not need to recover expenses with a larger price tag.

The following is a link to an online advertisement: http://www.biodrawve...ter_mussels.htm
A recurring comment from those who received a copy is that it did not matter that the book covered a single watershed -- the Connecticut River watershed is just another case study of what we see around the country and elsewhere in the world. I think we can all learn from each others experiences.

I am sending this link again because we only printed 2,000 copies and have limited numbers left, and I'm really not sure if or when funds to reprint the book will be available. So if you want to add another mussel book to your bookshelf, please do it soon. I will bring what I can to the meeting in Baltimore.

Best Wishes,
Ethan

Ethan Nedeau
Biodrawversity LLC
www.biodrawversity.com

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:32 PM

A very nice book for $5 for those interested in New England mussels! I appreciated the watershed approach, exceptional drawings and figures, and depth of information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users