Substrate Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AndrewAcropora_*

Guest_AndrewAcropora_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:03 PM

I'm in the process of planning a small (15-20 gallon) aquarium for my larger dorm next year. The plan is to focus the tank more on the native aquatic invertebrates that seem to get overlooked WAY too often.

My question to the forum-goers: Has anyone tried using Southdown play sand (non-silicon based) as a substrate in their aquarium? The stuff is a hot commodity in the marine aquarium world, and I'm trying to understand why so many people advocate the use of larger particle substrates in their native tanks. It seems that a smaller particle substrate would provide more surface area and something for things to burrow in. I've used deep sand beds (Greater than 3" deep) on some of my marine tanks in the past with much success.
What's your substrate of choice, and why?

#2 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:28 AM

I don't think there would be any certain reason why to use larger grain sand other than it not getting kicked up by jumpy fish. I use extra fine sand in my tanks and it is fine but sometimes my bowfin kicks a bunch up and it takes a while to settle. I actually think that the brand I used in my 55 WAS south down or whatever. It is good stuff and I don't think there is any reason not to use it.

Chad

#3 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:49 PM

I don't think there would be any certain reason why to use larger grain sand other than it not getting kicked up by jumpy fish. I use extra fine sand in my tanks and it is fine but sometimes my bowfin kicks a bunch up and it takes a while to settle. I actually think that the brand I used in my 55 WAS south down or whatever. It is good stuff and I don't think there is any reason not to use it.

Depending on your filtration system, you may need to be careful here. Sand that it kicked up into suspension can get sucked into your intake tube and damage the impeller, so don't use fine sand if you are using an over-the-back system driven by an impeller. Also, for coarse sand, even though it may not be kicked up into suspension, it can be briefly kicked up. Don't put the intake tube deep enough where this will be a problem, or use a pre-filter (I suppose a pre-filter will also work for the fine sand). Of course, I don't like the junk accumulating on a pre-filter. It is difficult to remove without it getting back in the water.

What is "south down"?

#4 Guest_AndrewAcropora_*

Guest_AndrewAcropora_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2006 - 03:03 PM

What is "south down"?

Southdown is a brand of play sand that is calcium carbonate based rather than silicon based.

I think I'm going to plan to use Southdown, or some local live sand. Does anyone else have comments or suggestions on a particular type of substrate?

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2006 - 04:37 PM

I know nothing of this type of sand, but will the calcium raise the ph to a point uncomfortable for the fish?
Silica is rather stable compared to calcium based sand.

#6 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2006 - 07:47 PM

Calcium based sand is recommended for African Rift Lake tanks, because it buffers the pH. I use it in my Tanganyikan tanks. It keeps the pH at about 8.0, which is on the low end of the good range for those fish. So I never have to add any pH buffers to maintain my pH. My tap water is neutral. I specifically am using aragonite sand. I tried crushed shell sand, and it did not buffer the pH well like I had hoped. So I think the answer is more complex than just the chemistry of the sand. It is also the crystal structure of the calcium carbonate and the texture of the individual sand grains.

#7 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2006 - 08:06 PM

I personally have used use Southdown in my Goodied and Pupfish tanks with very good results. In many of my other tanks I do tend to use the finer grade sands rather than coarse for fishes that like to submerse themselves in sand. Often I like the more silty sand substrates over those with a uniform grain size. It makes a mess if disturbed but the fishes absolutly love it.

#8 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2006 - 08:48 PM

I've used pool filter sand. It's graded and washed, so there isn't a lot of sand dust floating about. I'm not sure what the fuss is about silica. I've certainly not had a problem, and the tank the sand is in is at least 2 years old, I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users