Favorite aquarium madtoms

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:50 PM

I was curious about everyones' experiences with various madtoms and stone cats. I hear that some hide constantly and are never seen.

I currently have a small margined madtom that is quite active and I see often. From my minimal experience I would recommend them although mine is not the best forager. It is hard for me to believe they can survive in the wild. :smile2:

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:26 PM

I was curious about everyones' experiences with various madtoms and stone cats. I hear that some hide constantly and are never seen.

I currently have a small margined madtom that is quite active and I see often. From my minimal experience I would recommend them although mine is not the best forager. It is hard for me to believe they can survive in the wild. :smile2:

I have an ozark that I never see (but he has grown from 1.5 inches to about 5 inches in the last few years so he must forage rather well).
I had a speckled that I rarely saw who didn't grow much, but lived for several years.
I had a couple of margined that I used to see almost every day at feeding time (lived for a couple of years, but were part of a husbandry accidental wipe-out).

So I would recommend margineds if you have a choice of which ones to get. But I would also recommend these in more of a stream tank... they did very well with a good amount of current.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:00 AM

I would agree with Michael about the speckleds. They will stuff themselves up into drift wood or any other crevice they can find and you will rarely see them. My favorite is the good old tadpole madtom. They don't hide as much and are pretty interesting to lookout. Just avoid those spines when handling.

#4 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:37 PM

I've kept brindled, margined, and tadpole madtoms and all three are pretty active when there's food around.

#5 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:08 PM

I've had brindled madtoms for almost a year now. I see them quite a bit, usually at feeding time. My tadpole madtom and stonecat hide most of the time.

#6 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:57 PM

Thanks for the replies. :smile2:
I was wondering what you guys keep your madtoms with. I recently got another margined and they are together in a tank by themselves. I previously had the 1 in a tank with various minnows and dace which resulted in a starving madtom that flipped when food hit the water but never seemed to get any. He just motored everywhere like freak and continued to get skinnier and skinnier. I was thinking a 10 gall with a few other tank mates?

#7 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:19 AM

I have had quite a few different species and my favorite are the brindleds, they are rather common and have a nice pattern. On top of looking nice they seem to come out more often than most species I have had and learn to come out when you feed them.

#8 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:21 PM

Right now all my madtoms are in a 29 gallon tank with one longear sunfish for company. I feed lots of sinking foods like Hikari algae wafers and HBH Soft & Moist. I'm going to move the brindled madtoms into another tank soon.

#9 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:21 PM

Update. The margined madtoms went back into my steam tank and they are doing very well. Fat and growing, they seem to have adapted to the environment. They rarely hide anymore and are actually quite active.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users