Frecklebelly darter

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_ShinersRock_*

Guest_ShinersRock_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:21 PM

Hmm, and where in KY did you find this beautiful species? I hope it's close by... :-D As for the two alliances meeting in KY for a collecting trip, I'd love to join. I want to meet new people with similar interests as me. Plus I can never get anyone to go seining with me. Skipjack, let me know the next time you go to the big KY.

#22 Guest_TomNear_*

Guest_TomNear_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:09 AM

This fish is Percina stictogaster. They are frequently found in the Green-Barren and Kentucky River drainages. The species description can point you to areas where you can see them. I always find them by kick seining along banks vegetated runs, or vegetated flowing pools.

Here is the citation, and you can get the issue of this journal by contacting Phil Harris at University of Alabama, as he is the current editor. The description is a very nice paper.

Also, the disjunct distribution between the two sister species (Bluestripe Darter and Frecklebelly Darter) between the Ozarks and Eastern Highlands is a fairly common biogeographic pattern.

Burr, B. M. and L. M. Page 1993. A new species of Percina (Odontopholis) form Kentucky and Tennessee with comparisons to Percina cymatotaenia (Teleostei: Percidae). Bulletin of the Alabama Museum of Natural History 16: 15-28.

Best-Tom Near

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users